Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All fans besides GPU stopped working completely

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jigsaw222

Jigsaw222

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to read/help.

I'm running a custom built PC with win10 and an ASUS P9X79 WS motherboard.

I did a free upgrade from windows 7 ulti to win10 pro, everything was smooth for a month on win10, and the whole year prior with windows 7, it was built within a year ago.

So these updates appeared in the win10 update section:

Intel - Other hardware - Intel® Xeon®Â E7 v2/Xeon® E5 v2/Core i7 Power Control Unit 2 - 0EC2

Intel - Other hardware - Intel® Xeon®Â E7 v2/Xeon® E5 v2/Core i7 Power Control Unit 3 - 0EC3

Intel - Other hardware - Intel® Xeon®Â E7 v2/Xeon® E5 v2/Core i7 Integrated Memory Controller 0 Target Address/Thermal Registers - 0EA8

As well as many more.

I clicked to install the updates, then nothing happened, i let it sit over night, woke up still nothing. Restarted my PC and boom.

Asus bios screen says CPU overheat/CPU fan not working.

I ignored them so it would boot and here I am.

I included a JPEG of speedfan's stats on my PC, showing no fans operating, as well as high temps on core 0 and such.

I then worried maybe it's unsupported and I made a rookie move doing that update.

Sure enough I went online and the ASUS website indicates no support for win10 64 bit drivers for my motherboard.

Now I'm wondering how to undo such a thing, I really don't want to use windows restore, as it says it will erase ALL my apps no matter what. Which is strange to me as windows 7 was able to revert back without getting rid of a single app. Puzzling to me. I'm also wondering if there's another restore function I'm unaware of that doesn't require deleting everything I've installed app-wise.

If anyone needs any more screen shots of anything or specs of any type, or any questions at all, I'll get right on it.

I'm willing to try anything, I'm 50/50 tech savvy, so I can attempt quite a few solutions.

Thanks again.

Attached Files

Edited by Jigsaw222, 28 November 2015 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jigsaw222

Jigsaw222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

I called ASUS and they were extremely unhelpful.

Told him everything I've listed here, his only suggestion was to replace the fans. I said well isn't there some other way to test besides replacing the fans? I mean it's more than 1 fan that stopped working randomly. He then suggested a computer shop, which is out of reach for a few days.

I would also like to mention it is a intel core i7 4820k, comes with no heatsink or something so liquid cooling is the main cooling here. An enermax.

Thanks

#3 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Have you tried to uninstall these updates?

#4 Jigsaw222

Jigsaw222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

I am quite new to windows 10 and have no clue where as to find where to uninstall these updates I mentioned, the main thing is the updates never installed, I think they may have attempted to install and didn't, so they are bugged or something. As I can still choose to install the updates. They still don't install, and if they didn't fully install then maybe there will be no option to uninstall. 

Thank you for you reply.

#5 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

You're welcome, Now try this...Click settings>Update & Security>Advaced Options>View Update History.  From here you will be able to see what's been installed, and be able to uninstall the updates of your choice.

#6 Jigsaw222

Jigsaw222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

Thanks again, well I checked and am uploading this screen shot to show my results.

It states a failed update, and I went to uninstall updates, thoroughly checked through the list of uninstall-able updates, though it is nowhere to be found there.

It definitely seems like the 1 failed update has a lot to do with it though.

Screenshot is in first post. Besides 1st screenshot.

Edited by Jigsaw222, 28 November 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#7 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

I have a feeling that the only way to recover from this will be a system restore to before the failed update, as for your apps...I'm fairly sure they can be reinstalled easily enough and without cost but I'm not 100% sure of this.  This is where I step aside and we wait for someone with a bit more knowledge to chime in.

Wish I could have been of more assistance :(

#8 Jigsaw222

Jigsaw222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

Well alv, you were great assistance in terms of windows 10 navigating. I was able to at least learn from what you explained, and through that I am finding new options to try, and I'm seeing different points to restore from, and ones that don't destroy my apps, I am going to give it a go, if it doesn't work, I'm going to destroy the apps, I'll report back with what happens. Have a good day and I appreciate your help.

If anyone else has any suggestions feel free.

#9 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

I'm happy to of helped (even if it was minimal) :)

Best of luck and have a nice weekend!

#10 Jigsaw222

Jigsaw222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

Well I performed 2 restore points on my PC, both didn't do anything, so i unupdated all the way back to when I had win7. Still no luck, all fans cease to work because of that 1 update.

& now since it reverted back to windows 7, I lost my windows 10 free upgrade 1 year licence in the process. It won't let me go back to Windows 10 and the upgrade icon is gone, all updates for windows 7 available have been installed. This is just getting worse for me, haha.

Edited by Jigsaw222, 28 November 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

Well I performed 2 restore points on my PC, both didn't do anything, so i unupdated all the way back to when I had win7. Still no luck, all fans cease to work because of that 1 update.

& now since it reverted back to windows 7, I lost my windows 10 free upgrade 1 year licence in the process. It won't let me go back to Windows 10 and the upgrade icon is gone, all updates for windows 7 available have been installed. This is just getting worse for me, haha.

Actually now that you have had Windows 10 on your system, you can install it anytime you want for free, you are not limited to the one year anymore. That is as long as you activated it when you did your upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Microsoft now has your PC address stored in their mainframe and you can install Windows 10 via ISO anytime you want.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Do the fans spin when booting the computer before it loads Windows?

You can try to get into UEFI BIOS (hitting <F2> or <Del> key). There will be a temperature and fan monitor and some fan controls.

You can try to adjust the fan controls, disabling Q-fan or reset settings to defaults.

If a new BIOS version is available you can install it to try to solve the problem. Before updating the BIOS read instructions on how to proceed and ask for help when in doubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users