Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Resources

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Manoj-p

Manoj-p

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

Can some one explain me all about Computer resources.

I am having a lot of problems ina video editing software (Adobe Premiere elements). It used to work fine earlier and now due to lack of resources it does not work. (I have installed a lot of new programmes mostly freewares)

How do I free up resources.

Does uninstalling programmes help in freeing up resources?

Also I would like to know about clashing of drivers between softwares.

I have Win XP SP 2. Dell Inspirin 1300, 512MB RAM, Pentium M 1.6 GHz 400 MhZ FSB

Regards

Manoj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

Resources are what's used up (inside the computer) when it's working. It's RAM, it's the CPU, it's the system bus, it's your video card, your hard drive, etc.

The most common problem is seen when a lot of programs are running and then you start to edit video. This places a great stress on the system.

So, the first place to start is with an assessment of your system. From the spec's that you've given, I'd suspect that this was not a good system to expect high performance while editing video files.

Some things that you can do to make it better are

1) Add more memory (up to 1 or 2 gB of RAM)
2) See if there are any options for upgrading the CPU
3) See if you can upgrade your video card
4) See if you can upgrade your hard drive

Then, this brings up the question - is it cheaper just to buy a new system? Only you can answer that.

Or, maybe you don't want to put any more money into it right now. So here's some things that you can do to make it "less slow":

1) Close all open programs before you begin editing video
2) Trim your startup applications down to only those that are essential for the system (I use StartupCPL for this - it's free from here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml )
3) Trim your services down to only thase that are essential for the system. Here's a link to the BlackViper site on the Internet WayBack Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20050401044922/.../servicecfg.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:10 AM

This is a good page for finding out about system resources:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question466.htm

If you are planning on stopping any of the system resources I would strongly suggest doing a lot of research on the programs that you want to stop. Write down the one you want to stop and only do one at a time and then wait to find out how your computer is going to work with otu it after running it for a day or two. The reason you write down the ones you end is because if you want to restart it because sometimes another program will depend on this one and not run right.

Another suggestion is to back up all of your data or ghost the machine with Acronis True Image before messing with something that might mess-up your computer.

Better yet if your coomputer is running properly and OK just leave it alone.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

In addition to the good advice already given, especially about killing unneeded applications that launch themselves on startup (IMs, Office suites, media players are obvious choices), is to store as many of your video files on disk or another drive, and to defragment your computer on a frequent basis.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Manoj-p

Manoj-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

Guys thanks for your guide.

I have used the tweaks and guides given in Black Viper web page. I feel I have solved my problem, but at the cost of losing many start-up programms like system restore etc.

I have changed many services to Manual or disabled some as advised in Black Viper website. It has worked.

Lots of my resources have been freed-up.

BUT I have one main question:-

THE SAME SYSTEM WAS OK AND I WAS DOING ALL THE STUFF WITHOUT STOPPING OR DISABLING ANY SERVIES SOME DAYS BACK. THEN WHY IS IT HAPPENING NOW.

Is there any silent back ground programme eating up my vital resources.

How can I find it out.

Pl advise.

Regards

Manoj

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

I have a request. Since you have been going to Black Viper's web page would you please give me the new address of or for it? I have been trying to get there at the old one and it has been under construction for quite some time.

#7 Manoj-p

Manoj-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

Hi

The address is on this posting bu "usama"

http://web.archive.org/web/20050401044922/.../servicecfg.htm

Manoj

#8 Manoj-p

Manoj-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

Sorry

The link will not work. I tried it and it gives wrong address.

Scroll up and go to preply by "usama" in this posting. The link is there

Manoj

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:51 AM

I would not disable system restore.

You will not appreciate it until you need it and then its too late!

Nor would I disable the firewall, or any resident av or anti-malwalware aps.

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 July 2006 - 06:51 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

The difference in the 2 links was probably the method used to copy them. Always use the Copy Shortcut rather than the Copy command when working with links on the web. See the little ...'s in the link? That means that it's been truncated (shortened) by the board's software - and a "Copy" will get you the exact text that you see - a "Copy shortcut" will copy the actual link rather than just the text.

How to use the Internet Archive (the WayBack Machine):

1) Go to http://www.archive.org/index.php

2) In the address box next to the WayBack Machine logo (not the one on the top of the page) type in www.blackviper.com (put it right after the http:// - so it reads like this - http://www.blackviper.com )

NOTE: This works for any website that the Archive folks have scanned - not just Black Viper.

3) Click on the "Take Me Back" button

4) You'll be directed to a page that shows all archived versions of that site. In this case, I selected the latest version of his site.

5) The next page you get will be a simple version of his home page on that date. Almost all of the links work (but the registry downloads for SP1a don't) - so you can navigate around as much as you please.

6) I've saved the really important stuff to my hard drive so that I have a ready reference.

Good Luck!

Edited by usasma, 26 July 2006 - 12:06 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:08 PM

You must keep a firewall, antivirus and antispyware application running on your computer - if you don't, it'll rapidly slow back down again, but this time it won't be so easy to fix.

Let us know what startup apps and what services you've disabled - that way we can recommend what you leave running.

How this happens is by installing programs - they each do their own thing and they each take different amounts of different resources. At some point they'll all set off the wrong thing at the same time - and the system will slow to a crawl. In my case when my A/V and Antispyware kick in along with my defragger - my 2 gB of RAM does not good - so I just go get a cup of coffee and wait.

Another reason that this could have occurred is that, a couple of days back, you could have installed a program that doesn't behave politely - and it sucks up all the resources for itself. Or it could be that one of the programs became corrupted for some unknown reason and it's behaving badly also.

How to prevent this? Regular scans with updated anti-virus and anti-spyware applications. Then everything else just becomes a matter of perfroming maintenance on the system.

#12 Manoj-p

Manoj-p
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:49 AM

usasma,

Thanks for advise. I am doing exactly that. I am so paranoid that daily when I start my computer I take 2 hous just to scan AV, Mal and Spywares.

I re-enabled the System Restore.

I will again need to look at all the services status and let you know

Manoj

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

Your unnecessary startup programs have more effect than services.
Windows XP is a good resources manager and disabling Windows Services is not a particularly good idea for general use.

Miost freeware tries to add itself to the start menu and you wind up with a lot of unnecessary programs in it.

I use Startup Inspector and Startup Monitor to manage my start menu because Startup Inspector gives you a lot of help identifying the ap before you stop it. Startup Monitor alerts you whenever any program tries to add itself to your start menu and requires your permission to do so.

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

Example of items you do not need in the start menu - you can open them as you need them.

Realplayer, Ipod, Microsoft Office, Open Office or any other similar program, Adobe Reader (uses a tremendous amount of resources)
Any of the picture programs.

Programs that should be in the start menu:
Your anti-virus program, several anti-malware aps like Windows Defender, Spybot with Teatimer enabled, The new Ewido Free antimalware, Startup Monitor, and your firewall plus any essential system programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users