Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to upgrade my iMAC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kakakola

kakakola

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hello,
I have the Early 2006 Apple iMac Desktop with 17" Display MA199LL/A (1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive). My processor is 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo and my memory is 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and my Hard drive is 163GB. It is running iOS 10.6.8
Please help me with anything or any ideas on how I can upgrade this mac or 'renovate' it in any way or what you would do if you were me since my mac has gotten slow.

Edited by kakakola, 28 November 2015 - 12:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:05 AM

Please contact the Apple Genius Bar or an Apple Store close to your city.

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:44 AM

Hello,
I have the Early 2006 Apple iMac Desktop with 17" Display MA199LL/A (1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 512 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive). My processor is 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo and my memory is 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and my Hard drive is 163GB. It is running iOS 10.6.8
Please help me with anything or any ideas on how I can upgrade this mac or 'renovate' it in any way or what you would do if you were me since my mac has gotten slow.

You can upgrade the RAM to 2 GB max and replace the HDD with a bigger 7200 rpm 3.5 inch SATA drive. OS X 10.6.8 is the latest that can run on your model iMac, unfortunately. If you'd like you could also upgrade the optical drive but that wouldn't help in speeding up your Mac. My suggestion would be to get yourself a newer Mac that is still supported by Apple.

#4 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:52 PM

Old Macs are disposable and need to be replaced every 4-5 years.  There really isn't anything you can do that would give you a speed return on your investment in any upgrades that would financially sound.  It would be  to your benefit to put that money into a new Mac.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:18 AM

Old Macs are disposable and need to be replaced every 4-5 years.

Not necessarily. It will depend on the Mac. And depends on what you need the Mac to do.

I have a 2009 MBP that still runs great...and can run the latest OS (if I wanted...haven't gotten around to upgrading it...it is still on Lion). It has benefited from removing the optical drive to install an SSD for a boot drive and then upgrading the internal hard drive to a 1.5 TB hard drive and also upgrading the RAM to 8 GB. I do have newer Macs, but not because the 2009 MBP was "disposable", but rather I wanted "new toys" (computers are my one expensive hobby  :bounce: ).

In the original posters case, OTOH, they are at the point where there is not much that can be done to upgrade that particular Mac model. Upgrading the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB would not be that expensive and likely would still help (depending on what the original poster needs the Mac to do). As noted by Buddyme2, they cannot upgrade the OS any more, so if they want the newer features of newer OSs, then a new Mac is the only option. The other thing that might help with the speed is to do a re-install of the OS and applications. I would tend to suggest that a new hard drive would not likely help that much.

In the end, it is a function of the Mac, what the person needs that Mac to do, and how much "speedier" someone might need the computer to be.

#6 onconference

onconference

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

Your apple iMac is too old. To think of upgrading that is just a waste of time you should go for the new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users