Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Start In Safe Mode -- Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 reamer

reamer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

I'm trying to find and fix problems in my wife's computer (Dell D620, Win XP, all MS updates, etc... from her employer) I downloaded and installed ewido, then in msconfig I selected bootsafe under the bootini tab.

When restarting all looks good, but when I enter the password that always works -- I get a dialog box:

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, they type your password again...."

Prior to booting to safe mode I had no problems with the password. The log on screen only has User name and Password options. There is no domain listed. I've tried shutting down and restarting but it will only boot to safe mode (which I can't log in to.)

Incidentally, the problems I was trying to resolve stemmed from a worm, virus, script or something which would cause zoom levels in firefox, MS OneNote, and various other programs to go to 500% or to a very small zoom. making the computer pretty much unusable. Resetting a zoom would immediately go back to the 500% view mode.

Edited by reamer, 23 July 2006 - 10:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:08 AM

I would suggest checking with the IT department at your wife's office for instructions for repairing the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:49 AM

I have to agree with usasma, This computer is the property of a company and there for e it has important data from that company on it. When they let you bring it home and something goes wrong with it the one thing you do not do is try to fix it. That is what the IT department is for at the company. Also since the computer is in your possession and something goes wrong with it and data is lost you are responsible for it. I have seen people get fired immediately for doing repairs or upgrades on company computers. You do not have the software for doing anything on it and also it is illegal to do so, I think it could be classified under corporate something and trouble.

#4 reamer

reamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:27 AM

Right. Ok, then. The IT department at the University is so understaffed it will take weeks for them to sort out the simplest thing. I have worked with the "IT guy" on solving several other issues in the past --

none the less, thanks for your replies.

Any thoughts on corporate IT disabling booting to safe mode? Or requiring a different password?
Regardless we'll be brining the PC to IT today.

ThorXP, can you enlighten me as to which laws I might be breaking by trying to troubleshoot this computer? You may be right but it sounds to me like you are over-reacting.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

I suggested the IT folks because it seemed to me that this was an attempt by IT to prevent just what you were trying to do.

Not too long ago I helped another tech on another site with a network access problem for a client. While doing my research I found that the client had taken the proper steps to solve the problem, yet still had the access problem. Further research showed that he was trying to access information on the LAN of a company that does research for several government agencies - to include the Atomic Energy Commission!

So, we've got to be cautious because of cases like this. Also, it puts the ball back in the IT department's court - since they are the legal owners of the laptop. And, since they are the legal owners, it's their legal right to say what can be done with the laptop and it's data. Finally, IT departments have to be concerned with security of the data on these computers and can't allow it to be freely available to anyone.

It's a good thing that the IT people are willing to let you work on the laptop (very few are) - and had we known this in advance it might have changed our reply (but most probably it would have still required you to contact them to see if there was anything installed to prevent the Safe Mode boot).

Once that issue is out of the way - then it's on to the more standard troubleshooting routines!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 reamer

reamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:04 AM

Thanks,

It looks like IT was able to recover data from the drive and will reimage the laptop's drive. Starting from square one -- but we'll never know what was wrong with the thing. IT said that they had taken no precautions to prevent booting to safe mode.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:36 AM

I am sorry you think I am over-reacting but it comes down to this.

The computer is not your own computer it is the property of the university and it has the universities information on it and it does not matter what information it is it is still proprietary information and covered by certain laws, you have their permission to use the computer to access and modify the information and have access to their LAN = Network. If you try to modify or fix their computer and lose the information they understandably will be very angry (I could think of a better word but not now) If while this computer is in your possession you try to repair or fix it and lose the information they might get really mad and utter some words like "You're Fired" or possibly add "You're under Arrest for Corporate Espionage" I know this is also drastic but you will be out of work and up a certain creek because it will be very difficult for you to find another job with this type of responsibility, etc, etc.

I am sorry if you think I over re-acted but I am just thinking of you're future, and this is just one of my little faults.

Have A Good Day

#8 reamer

reamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:52 PM

Thor, I see that you are a distinguished member, and I am just a newbie. But now you've got it wrong and are still over-reacting. I won't get fired -- like I said it is my wife's PC from work!

:thumbsup: :flowers:

I'm sure the possible scenarios you put forth are accurate for some companies.
Also, if you exceed the speed limit while driving you will get a ticket. It has happened. Not very often, but it can happen. I sometimes speed and I try and help my wife with her PC. I didn't come here for a lecture. Maybe I came to the wrong place.

--Charlie

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hi Charlie!

There's a benefit to having the wife get fired - then she'll be home to get you a beer when you need one! (Just kidding - and my wife is gonna thump me for this!)

Different folks react differently to different things. In hanging out on the web for many years we each develop a style that works for us. But, it may not be the style that works for dealing with another individual.

Here at Bleeping Computer our disagreements are civilized - and we respect the opinions of othere. This is much nicer place than many that I've been to - and I'm free to tell anyone to stuff their head up their a** as long as I do it nicely.

My point is - let's just agree to disagree and then let it drop. If you're offended by another member, just click on their name and a window will open where you can select to ignore that member - I use it quite frequently! :thumbsup:

Bleeping Computer is the first forum that I chose to come to - and I chose it because of it's friendly (but not overly so) nature. All the others I just happened to show up at and was able to deal with the folks there. With this one we have a genuinely caring group who really wants to do good for others - the reason that I spend time on the web.

ThorXP has some valid points - and you have some valid points. The biggest issue here was that we didn't know about IT's consent to let you work on the system - and that was straightened out quickly.

OK, enough with the moralizing and interpersonal relationships - onto the meat of the issues - the Safe Mode problem.

First off, there's a significant difference in the scope of knowledge between IT folks and home computer users. And then, there's great differences in the scope of knowledge between IT folks in small, medium and large businesses. We all possess some common basic knowledge - but our experiences cause us to retain different pieces of the knowledge because of our areas of specialization.

Typically and IT person doesn't deal with issues at the level of system initializaton - and won't know anything about Safe Mode unless the job requires it. But asking the question about it revealed that they didn't do it - so it must've been another problem.

But, they recovered the data and are doing the reformat (they're experienced at that - so it will be a good job). So, problem fixed - right?

NO! All too often folks who work with consumer level issues will use the reformat as a fix for all problems. This is because it works - most of the time. But it doesn't consider problems with hardware that may cause it.

But, in it's favor it's usually quick to do (since IT usually has a disk image rather than having to install it step-by-step) and it eliminates software problems by returning the system to it's orignial state (where it presumably worked without problems).

If it continues to have problems - the some hardware troubleshooting is indicated.

But, overall it's probably been taken care of - and so ends the saga of the little laptop that couldn't (get into Safe Mode) :flowers:

Edited by usasma, 26 July 2006 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users