Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help with printer problem

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Hi again everybody,

I’m having trouble installing my Epson, WF-3620 wireless printer on Linux Mint Mate 17.2. I am very new to Linux so please excuse my extreme lack of knowledge. Here are the steps I have taken:

I open Control CenterHardware - Printers - Add - Network Printers. My Epson is immediately recognized and listed.

I click on Forward, and the message Searching for drivers appears. Then I see the choice of epson-escpr, and Local Driver. I chose epson-escpr and click Forward.

After a few seconds the message Installing driver epson-inkjet-printer-escpr appears. A few seconds later I am asked for my password, I enter it, and the install continues. However, after that, nothing happens. The little circle spins (just as in Windows), but it never stops. I have waited as long as thirty minutes and nothing happens. There are no error messages, and the install bar doesn't move.

What is really strange is that prior to this install (yesterday), I had Linux Mint Mate 17.1 on a USB thumb drive, and the printer installed and worked perfectly. Also, please note that the computer I am using does not have Wi-Fi. It connects via Ethernet cable.

I don't have the skill required to troubleshoot this problem, so any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

So you are not trying to use wifi printing and just using a usb cable?

You will have to install gdebi package installer from the Software Manager first.

You might go to synaptic and uninstall anything epson also.

Then go to their page and download the .deb file for your system 32 or 64bit.  It will be the same driver that the system was trying to use but for some reason it did not.  Make sure to choose the file that has .deb at the end as above.

Then right click on that file and choose "open with" and maybe "other" if you don't see gdebi, and find the gdebi-package installer from there and click on it, follow the prompts and it will install the driver.  Reboot and you should be ready to re-connect to the printer.  Delete it and start over if needed.

Use the first link and go to the bottom and Agree to license.  Then scroll down until you see the drivers below.

It will be this one for 64bit

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.1-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

Or this one for 32bit

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.1-1lsb3.2_i386.deb

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02/DriverDownloadInfo.do?LG2=EN&CN2=&DSCMI=42302&DSCCHK=024d5066299b0207071538f4566df8962e62c88d

If you don't want to try that, you might be able to do this from the Software Manager, but check first to see if the package has been installed.  And, you will notice that the one from Epson is newer than the one on package manager.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 November 2015 - 07:14 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,752 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

If you need to scan we can do that too! just post back.

Edited by pcpunk, 27 November 2015 - 07:11 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

Hi pcpunk,

Thanks for your help.  I tried what you suggested, however, it didn't go too well.  Below is the error message it displayed:

Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.

(Reading database ... 180459 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.1-1lsb3.2_i386.deb ...

Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (1.6.1-1lsb3.2) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-escpr:

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr depends on lsb (>= 3.2); however:

Package lsb is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (--install):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Errors were encountered while processing:

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr

Any thoughts?

Thanks again

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

You will have to install gdebi package installer from the Software Manager first.

Why would that be necessary with Mint 17.2, if it wasn't necessary with Mint 17.1?

#6 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

I will apologize again for my utter lack of Linux knowledge, but does Linux offer some form of SFC /scannow?  Perhaps the install has a problem.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

No apologies necessary!

Are you trying to print wireless?  Not super important but good to know.

Did you check "Synaptic Package Manager" for any epson drivers that might have been installed?

What system are you running 32 or 64bit because you are trying to install a 32bit driver there.

Turn off Printer

Unplug Printer usb from pc if it is plugged in.

Delete Printer from "Configure your Printers" 

Do this in Terminal sudo apt-get install lsb 

Reinstall proper driver with gdebi and shutdown

Plug-in printer usb if not using wireless, wireless needs to be setup on the printer interface in most epson printers.  You will have to enter the Network SSID.  

Turn on printer > Start pc and see if printer works and has been detected.

OR The easier way:  Try Deleting the Printer from the Printer Manager.

Check if the driver was installed in Synaptic Manager, Open and type epson and look.

If it's not installed - Install it from there, or the Software Manager, or the Terminal with sudo apt-get install printer-driver-escpr 

Re-Boot and see if printer is Detected.  To be detected, it's best to have Printer Turned On prior to re-boot.

If it installed properly you should now be able to print without finding drivers with the  "Configure your Printers", the driver install from there fails quite often for Epson.

I don't know why the other 17.1 worked and this one don't, this might have caused an issue.  Was it a LiveUSB or a Full Install USB?

Edited by pcpunk, 28 November 2015 - 12:20 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Why would that be necessary with Mint 17.2, if it wasn't necessary with Mint 17.1?

Don't know Al, but do know...they don't always install from the Printer Manager - they stall.  Maybe with the USB install it worked but now it isn't, the reason I wouldn't know.

Edited by pcpunk, 28 November 2015 - 02:20 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:23 PM

Hey pcpunk,

To answer your questions:

No, I am not trying to print wirelessly.  This particular computer has no Wi-Fi capabilities.  Ethernet only (not USB).

Synaptic Package Manager has numerous Epson drivers listed.  I did not delete any of them.

I am running 32bit right now, but I could run 64bit.  I did not install the 64bit version.

The 17.1 version was live from a USB stick.  The 17.2 version is a full install (dual-boot) with Windows XP previously installed.  The 17.2 version was only installed yesterday.

As far as your listed steps:

I cannot unplug the printer from a USB port because it is not connected.

There is no printer listed to delete from "Configure your Printers".

The rest confuses me a bit.  I can’t plug the printer into a USB port because it is nowhere near my computer.  However, as I previously stated, the printer worked perfectly fine using Mint 17.1 from the USB stick.

Thanks again for your help.

PS

I guess you could say I am trying to print wirelessly, but not via WiFi.  Just through the network.

Edited by MalwareMutilator, 28 November 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#10 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

To avoid possible confusion . . . the Epson printer connects wirelessly to my network via Wi-Fi, but my computer connects to my network via an Ethernet cable.  The printer is visible in Linux 17.2 when I view my network.  :thumbup2:

#11 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hi guys,

Okay, this is too bizarre for me. I was about to throw in the towel on this problem, and I thought I would try one last time just for kicks. I clicked on printers, made the same choice I made 20 times before, and the printer was instantly installed. And I mean INSTANTLY (like one second)!

I have absolutely no clue what is going on, but it works perfectly. As many people on the web have stated, you must choose “regular-paper-vivid” to get the proper results, but the print quality is great.

I am very new to Linux so I am certain I will have many others questions, and probably more problems. If I become a pest, feel free to tell me. I don't want to wear out my welcome. :lol:

Thanks again!

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Just read you got it!!!  Awesome.  Sometimes it helps just to reboot or something.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on, but it works perfectly. As many people on the web have stated, you must choose “regular-paper-vivid” to get the proper results, but the print quality is great.

Where is this choice located?

Edited by pcpunk, 28 November 2015 - 03:28 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,752 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

If you are good with screenshots I would love to see what is in your Synaptic Manager under epson, and iscan, and lsb.  You can extend the list by dragging the bottom of the dialogue box down.

Also, you don't have to enter the SSID to the front of that printer?  Maybe you don't have WPS Security.

Here is the manual page for that printer if you need it.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&infoType=Doc&oid=232591&prodoid=63099059&category=Products

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

When you have a file to print, clink on print - properties - device - media type.  I have a screen-shot but I don't think I can post it here.

Thanks again!!!  I'm thrilled!

#15 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:46 PM

My router is using WPA2 security.  I only had to enter the SSID once to connect it to my network.  After that, any device I attach can print using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users