Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update error 80244018

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 battleclown

battleclown

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

I am having recurring issues searching for updates through Windows Update.  The last time this happened I looked through my list of installed updates and tried installing 1 by 1 manually through the support website... and eventually it started working again. I assume it was hung up on one of the updates somehow, but I don't have a lot of experience with this issue.

Error code is in the subject.  Research only tells me it is a very generic error code that implies Windows Update is having a hard time communicating with the server.  Any help resolving this issue would be great.  My machine will not allow me to download Windows 10 until I can get past this error. And of course I'm happy to post any log files or any such necessary diagnostic tools, just not sure where to start.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

Download and run the Update Readiness Tool.  You need to choose the version that matches your operating system (32-bit or 64-bit).

Windows 7       32-bit (x86)            http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132

Windows 7       64-bit (x64)            http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:26 PM

Utility hung up when I first tried to install. I have restarted so I'm trying to re-download and run again.  Not sure what's going on there but I'm working that one and I'll keep you posted.

#4 battleclown

battleclown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:49 PM

I was able to run the utility successfully.  I went back to windows update to see a nice green message that updates have installed successfully and the latest entry in update history is "Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)." However I still get the same error message when I try to search for updates or run the Windows 10 download, error code 80244018.

Any other insights into the issue?

Edited by battleclown, 28 November 2015 - 08:50 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type servfices.msc in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with services below it, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

When Services opens scroll down to Background Intelligence Transfer Service.  Make sure the Status is Running.

Do the same with the Windows Update service.

================

Go back to the Search box and type in cmd.  When it appears above the search box right click on it and select Run as administrator.

When the Command Prompt opens copy and paste proxycfg -d, then press Enter.

================

Clear the IE cache.

Select Tools (via the Gear Icon) 

Click on Safety, then Delete browsing history. 

Make sure to uncheck Preserve Favorites website data and check both Temporary Internet Files and Cookies, then click on Delete.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users