Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows/Pc freezes, reboot required.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Geistjager

Geistjager

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

Hi there, hope you can help,

My pc freezes, will not respond to controls, and has to be reset. The only common factor is that it happens whilst playing World of Tanks.

It isn't a frequently occurring problem - maybe once or twice a month. But I am worried that it is affecting my pc adversely.

I have checked my GPU temp, and it isn't showing any spikes or problems there that I can see.

Sorry if I am not providing much useful info to start with, but I'm somewhat of a novice to tech support forums.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

Please do the following (preferably just after a freeze):
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Geistjager

Geistjager
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

I had another freeze last night, so I have saved the event log as requested.Attached File  admin.evtx.zip   548.19KB   1 downloads

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:35 AM

Looks like networking problems to me.

I'd suggest updating all of your networking drivers (and your antivirus/security applications).

If that doesn't help, then I'd suggest posting over in the Networking forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Geistjager

Geistjager
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

My antivirus is up to date in its current form.

Which networking drivers do you suggest I update?

#6 Geistjager

Geistjager
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

Hi again,

Checking the networking adaptors in device manager revealed an Error 31 code on the microsoft virtual wifi miniport adaptor. I followed some recommended steps from Microsoft, involving an uninstall, and searching the pc for hardware changes. The miniport adaptor is now showing as working again. Might this be the cause of the problem?

Also, I have discovered that it might also be due to a client failure at the servers of the company that runs the game, which might explain why this problem only occurs whilst playing this game. Does that sound valid as an explanation as well?

I read the link you provided regarding the error 41 codes. The unexpected shutdown was caused (judging by the time) by me holding down the power button in order to reboot the pc at the time (The keyboard and mouse were not responding at the time)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:37 AM

I'm not a networking expert.  I found errors that seemed to set a pattern of networking problems in the logs that you posted.

The problems can be caused by anything between your keyboard and the system that the game is hosted on (and anything in-between)

That's why I suggested that you post over in the Networking forums - they're more expert at that stuff than I am.

I suggested updating the antivirus because it could be causing networking problems (or you might spot that there was an infection - which can also cause networking problems).

The Error code 31 could well be the problem, as could the client failure of the servers of the company that runs the game.

I figure that the EventID 41 will show when you force a reboot.

So I look for errors/patterns of errors that occur just before the EventID 41 errors (using the time, not the sequence that appears in the logfile)

#8 Geistjager

Geistjager
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

Okay, thanks. I have posted a new thread over on the networking section, with a link to this thread for reference.

Thanks for your help!

#9 pjd53

pjd53

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

I am a sewer, and download files that I use in my craft. When trying to unzip files in Window explorer, my computer freezes requiring a hard reboot to start again. I am relatively stupid when it comes to computers, but I am ready to give it the boot. This happended in Windows 8, and then I upgraded to Windows 10. No difference--freezes with hard boot required.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

pjd53 - please start your own topic in order to get the individual attention that your problem deserves.

In that topic, please include this report right after the next time the system freezes:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users