Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powerline adapters to connect modem/router and second router

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gdmd

gdmd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hello!

I'm not a networking person (I do software as a hobby so not computer illiterate though) and the following is driving me insane. I need advice from you network gurus.

I've got a Zyxel Q1000Z DSL modem/router (master device) and Netgear WGR614v7 router (slave device). I have the modem/router connected to the phone line in the kitchen and need the slave router in the living room. If I connect them directly with ethernet LAN to LAN port I can get wireless internet from the slave, but when I use Belkin powerline adapters to get internet into the living room I can get internet on a computer by connecting to the adapter with an ethernet cable (so this would tell me the poweline things work), but I can no longer get internet from the router when it is plugged into the adapter instead of straight ethernet (actually, one windows 8 pc I have will get internet from it, but the other as well as my android phones and ChromeCast won't get internet - phones get hung up "Obtaining IP"). This is both very confusing and frustrating. 

I am wondering if this has something to do with crossover, but I have tried using a crossover cable on both ends of the powerlines with no luck. Maybe the powerline adapters are uncrossing the signal no matter what I do? (None of this equipment is modern, and I'm not sure if any of it tries to fix crossover issues automatically - and I don't have money to buy new hardware if I can get the current stuff to work). But then I still don't know why one of my computers (the older one) can still pull internet wirelessly from the slave post-powerline?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users