Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete reset to rid of viruses?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KatieRose1395

KatieRose1395

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

New here so I hope I am posting in the right section.
I have a MacBook Pro and something isn't right on it, I think probably viruses may have gotten past my virus protection. I was wondering if reseting it to factory settings would wipe out any bad stuff.
If so, could someone please explain exactly how I would go about it and if I would have to reinstall anything specific. I really know nothing about computers, my dad used to take care of it all but he only had limited experience himself and no experience with macs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

You may find posting in the "Am I infected?" section would be a good first step - someone (not many Mac people here) may be able to see if you do have any malware on your computer and may be able to remove it. If you just want to fully reset (erase all files, applications, etc) the Mac, let me know and I can walk you through booting into the recovery partition & reinstalling OS X.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 KatieRose1395

KatieRose1395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

Could you walk me through it? I'm not 100% sure it's viruses, a full reset is probably the best bet at this point.

#4 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

I am without access to a computer for the next few hours, so I will not be able to post my own instructions on how to do it. I have copied the following bullet points from Apple's website. You should disconnect any external media (flash drives, etc) before performing these instructions; this way, only one destination disk should be shown when you are prompted.

These instructions will irreversibly delete everything on your computer under every user account, including files, photos, applications, and passwords. It is advisable to backup your files before proceeding.

The reinstallation process can take several hours; ensure you do not need the computer for the remainder of the day. Additionally, you may need your Apple ID and password during this process.

• Turn on your Mac.
  • Immediately after you hear the startup sound, hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard.
  • Release the keys after the Apple logo appears.
  • If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network, or connect your Mac to the Internet using an Ethernet cable.
  • After the Recovery menu appears, select the option to Install OS X.
  • Follow the onscreen prompts to select your destination disk and install OS X.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#5 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:51 AM

You should read this article for assistance. Print out parts of the document if you need.

Before you do this you can use EtreCheck to make a log file.

1. Please download EtreCheck. You can find the downloaded file in your dowload folder.

2. double click on the zip file to unpack it. Move the app to your program folder and start it.

3. Click on start Etrecheck button to make a log file. This will take a wile.

4. EtreCheck opens automatically a new Window within the Logfile. Click on the button Share Report on the top left of this window and finally Copy to Clipboard.

5. The Content of the Logfile is in the Clipboard now. Make sure that you don't do any other copy and paste operations until made the next step.

6. Insert the Content here in your thread by pressing the keys Command + V.

#6 KatieRose1395

KatieRose1395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:41 PM

Ok, I believe I have wiped the hard drive and it is installing the OS. After it finishes, is there anything else I have to do to get it up and running? Anything that needs reinstalled for it to run properly?

#7 KatieRose1395

KatieRose1395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:43 PM

Sorry for my absense, I wasn't at home to work on this until now. I hope you are still with me.

#8 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

Sorry for my absense, I wasn't at home to work on this until now. I hope you are still with me.

No Problem :)

Anything that needs reinstalled for it to run properly?

Usually no, only to look in the AppStore for Updates. 

#9 KatieRose1395

KatieRose1395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

Ok, Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users