Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

X box why is it so essential to win 10 that you can't uninstall it?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

Why is it again that Xbox is so essential to win10 that you can not uninstall it.

Somebody please explain it to me.

I am no gamer never will be and any grand kid who has one I am certainly not going to let them hook it up to my computer.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

Well, you can uninstall it, but not it's not obvious how to do so. You can uninstall it with a cmdlet using PowerShell.

To remove xBox, you would use this cmdlet:

Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

From here: http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

This article discusses how to use PowerShell: http://www.howtogeek.com/137803/geek-school-learn-how-to-automate-windows-with-powershell/

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Xbox seems to be involved with the pc games in the Microsoft Store. At least, I have to be signed into Xbox to play Solitaire on my computer. Maybe it's like Cortana's integration with Search. Messing with it might break something you use.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

So basically Microsost installs something that only a guru or a skilled power user can uninstall.

Really playing games is so essiental that the OS can not function without it. Once again Microsoft 1 Useres 0

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,480 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

So basically Microsost installs something that only a guru or a skilled power user can uninstall.

Or someone who knows how to use Google. Takes 10 seconds "How to uninstall Xbox Windows 10". First link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

Really playing games is so essiental that the OS can not function without it. Once again Microsoft 1 Useres 0

Windows can function without the Xbox app and you can uninstall it. Therefore you are wrong.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

Aura, I posted the instructions for removing xBox from Windows 10 in my reply, and they are from the very link you have posted in your reply. Please note that uninstalling things this way is not particularly easy for someone unused to navigating through the innards of an OS.  I myself have never heard of using something called PowerShell before.  I'd have to practice using it before I tried doing something real with it.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

In this instance it's used as the brand name as users associate the name and logo with games making them easy to find without language really.

I'm interested in knowing your reasons for wanting to uninstall it since it uses as close to no resources as possible, nothing else.

Reduced functionality for no real benefit makes zero sense

Edited by ChuckPasadena, 26 November 2015 - 06:37 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

Aura, I posted the instructions for removing xBox from Windows 10 in my reply, and they are from the very link you have posted in your reply. Please note that uninstalling things this way is not particularly easy for someone unused to navigating through the innards of an OS. 

I myself have never heard of using something called PowerShell before.  I'd have to practice using it before I tried doing something real with it.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom,

The point is that a great many things, and going way back, are "not particularly easy for someone unused to navigating through the innards of the OS" to modify or uninstall.   That's by design.  Who do you know that's ever uninstalled good, old-fashioned, solitaire from any Windows version that came before Windows 8?   It was never easy to remove a lot of things that you (for any you) did not use that were shipped out with the OS.

I've been working with Windows for decades now and have not used Power Shell because it's not generally something that an end user or a technician not embedded within a large organization that needs to automate a range of tasks typically uses.  There are lots and lots of people who've never used command prompt, either.

For those not comfortable using either command prompt or power shell, I don't know what the solution to that is.  I learned what I know when I had to do things that were only easily possible via the command line.  One has to really trust the advice one is receiving before dabbling with these functions.  At least some protection has been built in to command prompt that won't allow a lot of commands to be run unless the command prompt session is intentionally started with the "Run as administrator" option, even when the user running it is actually an administrator.  [For old timers like me that protection can be maddening, but it has prevented a lot of disasters and is well worth the additional effort it requires so that you have to think about exactly what you're doing before you do it.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#9 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

Or someone who knows how to use Google. Takes 10 seconds "How to uninstall Xbox Windows 10". First link:

http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to-uninstall-windows-10s-built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

Windows can function without the Xbox app and you can uninstall it. Therefore you are wrong.

I think you missed the sarcasm dripping from that comment, Aura

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

To me that is the thing every version of windows before 7 you could uninstall every program on it just from the uninstall programs list.

No need to dig around in the system.

Now I found out while trying to uninstall certain windows apps thru their settings removal procedure.  Some of them can not be uninstalled. When you click on the uninstall option nothing happens chooseing/clicking that button at all.

When I say I can or can not do something some way it is because I have already tried it that way on this machine. Not necessarily on any other machine.

#11 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

To me that is the thing every version of windows before 7 you could uninstall every program on it just from the uninstall programs list.

Now I found out while trying to uninstall certain windows apps thru their settings removal procedure.  Some of them can not be uninstalled. When you click on the uninstall option nothing happens chooseing/clicking that button at all.

When I say I can or can not do something some way it is because I have already tried it that way on this machine. Not necessarily on any other machine.

That's why XP was the OS I was able to do the greatest amount of damage to it, deleting shortcuts and file folders and never using the uninstallers not once all until it was an huge entangled mess.

Edited by ChuckPasadena, 26 November 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#12 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

There in is the rub. If you used the uninstaller there was no issues.  However running amuck with regedit could hose your entire os.

Why 3rd party registry cleaners are unadvisable.

As to why uninstall it ,why not if I am never going to use it why have it. Or allow it to be used on my computer

If I could uninstall cloud services I would.  Again because I have no intention of ever using it so why have it.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

That's why XP was the OS I was able to do the greatest amount of damage to it, deleting shortcuts and file folders and never using the uninstallers not once all until it was an huge entangled mess.

Precisely!   I have seen more catastrophes created by people who have this unexplainable drive to "remove deck chairs" that are not impeding their ability to "walk around the deck" in any way.

The quickest way to insanity is to start removing parts of the OS or features shipped that there is no officially supported user interface for their removal.  Even bloatware doesn't take up anything but disk space (which is why I remove it) and doesn't affect system performance unless the program(s) are invoked.  Virtually all of the apps shipped with Win8 and Win10 are the same, but there may be components of these things that are shared with other "more essential" functions.  This is the case with the Cortana process, which is not the same as the Cortana Service as a whole, which is an integral part of Windows Search.

If you're not given an easy way to remove something then the first questions you should be asking yourself are:

1.  Why might that be?

2.  Do I really need to remove this?

You never hear these kinds of discussions being bandied about on a regular basis about either OSX or the various Linux flavors.  That's not because either of these operating systems don't have precisely the same sorts of interdependencies going on under the hood.

I'll stick by my general rule as it applies to electromechanical, mechanical, and electronic systems:  "Don't F*$K with a functioning system without very good reason."  I don't care for thing X or I don't personally use thing X that isn't impacting your ability to use all the things you do use is not a good reason.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

To me a lot of this stuff are just coveniences. Not necessary one way or the other to the operation of the OS, if it is an integral component certainly I will want to leave it. However why would some of them even need to be integrated into the operating system.

For example not letting Cortana search the web does not affect any searches I have run within the system. Those all still work.

The reason I asked the question in the first place.

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

X box why is it so essential to win 10......

because it potentially means $ for msft..   Simple as that.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users