Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer slowing internet connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 runclub

runclub

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

Hello,

I have had a recent very strange thing happen.  My internet was working fine and then I rebooted my wired computer.  Once I did that my internet ground to a halt.  From 27mps to 1mps. 

I called my ISP and they confirmed all is stable at their end, speeds good, etc etc.

Basically through all the trouble shooting we did once we disconnected the wired computer from the internet all my speeds went up, and connections improved.  Once I connect my computer everything grinds to a halt.

I scanned with Malwarebytes.  Nothing comes up.  I have TrendMicro's RUBotted running...nothing shows up.

I am scanning now for viruses with ESET and nothing is showing up at the moment.

There is definitely something funky going on.

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely

Jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 runclub

runclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

Some additional information.  I had a backup of a website on one of my attached drives and when I scanned with ESET it showed that almost all, if not all, of the PHP files were infected with a trojan.  I was able to clean them and deleted the back up.

I have done a virus scan again of the boot sector and I get this message "MBR sector of the 2. physical disk - error opening"  several of them.

​And then file after file there is an error opening them.

#3 runclub

runclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

And one last piece of info.  I have had a problem with the computer occasionally crashing and I get an NTLR missing message.  A "computer guy" said to me it was likely a corrupt file but I can literally go weeks without any problems.  Not sure if it is related to the problem I had today of when I connect my wired computer to my network, my internet grinds to a halt.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#4 runclub

runclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hello all,

Ok..I have run adwcleaner, rkill, tdsskill, virus scans, windows tweak.  Nothing is showing up.

Just plugged in my computer again and once it connects to the network, it grinds my internet to a halt.  All other computers are working fine, streaming netflix fine, browsing fine, youtube fine, hulu fine.  My speed is find on all computers 27mps.  Once I connect my wired desktop...everything grinds to a halt.  I mean WTF!!????  What could this be?

#5 runclub

runclub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

ok...I feel stupid beyond stupid.

Onedrive was sucking all bandwidth to up load 3gb of photos that I wasn't aware of.  Just saw it on the resource monitor...there it was...sucking all bandwidth.

case solved.

#6 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 36,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you for letting us know.

Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

#7 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 36,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe, and we know you are the Holy One of God."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users