Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modservices: Is It Safe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

I just read the description below from the Anti-virus resources. (I hope I am posting my question in the correct discussion location).

"Windows Utilities Resources

ModServices
This file is modify Windows 2000 and XP services.

In order to see all the services on your computer type:

modservices list

This will show a three columns. The first column is the name of the service, and the name we will use with the rest of the following commands. The next column is the description, and the third column is the status of the service.

In order to delete a service that does not belong, first stop it by typing:

modservices stop servicename

then type:

modservices delete servicename

If you have any questions, please feel free to comment in the Discussion section."
-----------

I am currently on the university campus and downloaded this file to my flash drive. When I attempted to unzip it, I got a warning from the Symantec's Anti-Virus Auto Protect that it cleaned 2 hack tools by deletion . Further, when I scanned my flash drive with Symantec, it found another hack tool which it removed by deletion. Now, I could not open the Zip file for the program, probably because it was now empty. Just to make sure that the Hack tools were indeed from modservices, I downloaded the program again to my flash drive and unzipped it. I received the same Autoprotect message as before.

Will ZoneAlarm do the same thing if I attempt to open this file? Is this tool safe? I have some services that shouldn't be on my computer, and I thought this tool might be a way to remove them in addition to showing me ALL the services on my computer. I not going to try alter anything with it on my own at this point though. I might wreck something.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

I assume it's some downloaded utility. If I'm right, you have a native utility in Windows' Control Panel without using questionable external programs, cluttering your disk with still another utility. Start > Settings > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services and follow the same steps you described, stop then modify. Be careful!

I see in another post of yours that you're using Zone Alarm Security Suite. Are you trying to run Norton as well? I wouldn't.

Edited by tos226, 23 July 2006 - 09:04 PM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:42 PM

No, I don't use both. I have ZoneAlarm currently on my computer at home. I was at a University Computer when I downloaded the modservices to my flash drive. The University uses Symantec.

I have one service that I need to get rid of, perhaps some others. The thing about the Windows services is that while I can disable the service as I have done, there is no way that I can tell to delete the service. There is no place to type either except to provide permission about who or what starts the service, which is irrelevant in this case. I'm using Windows XP2.

I'm getting ready to post a HiJack This Log; however, I'd like to have all necessary programs downloaded before I do. I don't like the Hack alerts I got on Campus though, so unless I hear otherwise Modservices ain't going onto my computer.

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

This program is simply a program that is used to manipulate your NT services. The difference, though, is it was utilized by hackers before sc.exe or other programs existed. It is a hack tool, but that does not mean its not a valid program.

For example, pskill.exe from sysinternals is picked up as a hack tool as well regardless of how legitimate it is.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

Ah, I see. Rather like the knife that can be used to cause serious damage or that can be used to heal. It's maliciousness depends on the user, but isn't inherent in the program, right?

That does make me feel better, especially after I saw the results on JottiScan!

Thank you Grinler,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

p.s. Great website! I've learned so much in it already.

Orange Blossom

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

Yup..perfect analogy. Its the hand that uses it that determines if its bad or good.

Glad you are getting something from the site :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users