Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a working copy of Windows 7 Pro onto CD/DVD.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 happyworker

happyworker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:58 AM

I recently bought an old second hand Samsung Q45 Notebook, which at some point in it's life had been upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 Pro. As this machine came from a College clearance, I believe they probably installed the update.

My main machine is a Dell Inspiration 4700 with Windows XP installed. Is there any way I can copy the Windows 7 Pro from the Notebook to CD/DVD, which I can then use to upgrade my Dell; running Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

Hi happyworker :)

You cannot create an installation media using the current version of Windows installed on a system. You'll need to download an .iso and then burn it to a CD/DVD. If you have a retail product key of Windows 7, you can use it to download the edition matching that product key from the Microsoft Software Recovery Center below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

This being said, if you have an OEM product key of Windows 7, it won't work and you'll need to contact the laptop's manufacturer (Samsung) to obtain an installation media (which might not be free).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:52 AM

It would be much easier to purchase a legal copy of 7, it can be found on Ebay and other sites.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:27 AM

Since both systems are obvious OEM systems (notebooks)...there is no legal way you can expect to move an O/S from System 1 to System 2.

Louis

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

It would be much easier to purchase a legal copy of 7, it can be found on Ebay and other sites.

Nah, much easier and cheaper just to call Samsung support number and request the disks. They will have the drivers pre-installed also so it will save some hassle. Might cost 20 or 30 bucks (or maybe nothing depending how much you butter up the support person) but definitely the way to go as a one off.

Buying a retail 7 from fleaBay does have the advantage that you can then take that Windows and put it on any other computer you wish, in the future.

#6 happyworker

happyworker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

UPDATE:-

Thanks to those that have replied.

There is little point in contacting Samsung for the OS discs as the Samsung Notebook originally came with Win XP and Win 7 was added after; by some unknown.  Besides, Samsung discs would not work on my Dell, which is where I want to put Win 7; as that presently has Win XP.  It would seen that the only way round this is; as suggested, to buy a Win 7 OS disc which I could use on any make of machine; although they only come with a license for one machine.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

Look on you Dell for a service tag stuck on the bottom, if you have one then you can load 7.  Then in device manger you can find the items that need drivers, you will need to get them off the respective vendors site.  It is a bit of a pain but I have been through!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

@ Happyworker #6

Just to clarify a bit. Windows licensing is a minefield, but if you buy a standard retail version of Win 7 - or any other retail Win OS - it is a license for one machine but you can move that installation from one computer to another. An OEM version is tied to the motherboard of the computer it was installed on and cannot be moved to another computer. In the event, relatively rare, of a mobo failing MS will allow a re-install on a replacement mobo but it will require a phone call for activation.

A retail version can be used on a number of machines in sequence, but only so long as it is installed on only one machine at a time. Before you can use it on computer No 2 it must be uninstalled from computer No 1.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users