Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

I'm not sure where to post this as it involves multiple operating systems and hardware. Will a moderator please move it if there is a more appropriate forum. :thumbsup:

I bought a new computer on ebay last night. It's a "barebones" system consisting of only a motheboard, CPU, PSU, and case. I intend to use much of my current hardware (video card, sound card, DVD-RW, CD-RW, DIMM, etc.) as wll as a new
250GB ( :inlove: )hard drive I just got.

I want to set up a dual boot on this PC with Windows 98SE (for certain legacy programs that won't run in XP :flowers: ) and Windows XP Pro SP2 (for everydya use).

I know that Windows 98SE needs to be on the first volume of the primary master drive and that later versions of Windows should be installed in chronological order thereafter progressively on new volumes/drives.

My concern is that Windows 98SE won't recognize some of the 250GB drive. I intend to partiton the drive into two volumes, the first being only around 20GB and using the FAT32 file system (for 98SE) and the second using the remainder of the drive and formatted in NTFS (for XP).

If I partiton and format the drive in this way prior to installing Windows 98SE, will I run into any problems when installing either OS or in regards to accessing the full drive before or after installing either OS?

Basically I want Windows XP to be able to recognize the entire drive (even the FAT32 volume) and Windows 98SE to recognize and use just its own little part of the drive (because I know 98SE can't see NTFS anyway).

Any pointers/warnings/anecdotes are much appreciated! :trumpet:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 23 July 2006 - 06:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

The following MS Knowkledgebase article will help:

Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
Multibooting with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../multiboot.mspx