Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\windows Folder Opens After Log In

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leesa246

Leesa246

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

After I turn on my computer and log into my name, the C:\Windows folder opens directly on my screen, before I click any buttons. It does it automatically. It has been like that for a few months now and is constant. It never skips a startup. It only occurs when I first start up, not when I log in/out after the start up.

Can you help me stop this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:47 PM

Something is calling on a program in the C:\Windows directory - and the program is no longer there, so Windows opens up the folder to show that it's done it's job!

The tricky part is figuring out what this is. Here's a nifty list that I just found that will show you where to look: http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles...deonstartup.php

There are simpler ways to do this. The easiest is to remember what programs that you removed around the time that this started happening. If it was spyware or a virus - then this could be the result of an incomplete fix by your utilities.

If not, then you'll have to examine your startups for entries that:
1) Point to the C:\Windows directory and
2) That refer to a file that no longer exists in that directory.

To start, go to Start...Run...and type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then go through the tabs to see if you can find it there.

If not, then I'd suggest that you use Autoruns by SysInternals (it's free) to help track it down. Here's a link for the download page: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

Then it's just a matter of wading through the details until you can locate the bugger. Then disabling it to make sure it's the one that you need to disable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

actually mines does this too..a little diffrent...when windows loads...C:\WINDOWS comes up...but thats all it does and i just close it and its just started happening..

hahaha nvm its the batch file "winstart" sorry for wasting ur time

Edited by moomoo, 27 July 2006 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users