Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Always Freezing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

Hey guys.

I'm really getting sick of how slow Firefox is. I've been a long time Firefox user but I don't know if I can take it anymore. There's times where it runs good but recently, it just freezes constantly and I can't type on websites without constant lag. Yes, I usually have quite a few programs open but I have 16gb of ram and a AMD FX 8350 cpu (watercooled) on a Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard along with SSD for my drives.

Firefox run's usually around 180,000k - 240,000k but can go as high as 300,000k - 350,000k accordingly to Task Manager. I have quite a few programs that run higher than that and perform better.

Any personal experiences like this with Firefox and solutions? Maybe common issues?

Please try to avoid just posting links with a long list of troubleshooting steps, I've went through quite a few of them.

Edited by Slim Nelson, 25 November 2015 - 11:43 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:01 AM

Beyond the standard reply to make sure that you're running the latest version of Firefox with your  plug ins updated to the most recent available it's a little difficult to make any kind of blanket suggestion that will work in every situation because my changes would only apply running the same extensions which is highly unlikely.

After asking on several forums the reply was almost always to fo through everything on this list paying special attention to the steps to concerning Firefox running slow and Hanging on certain sites:

Troubleshooting Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox/fix-problems

Running slow: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-slow-how-make-it-faster

Not Responding/Hanging: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-hangs-or-not-responding

Outside the other steps listed on troubleshooting Firefox you can tweak it further by restarting in Safe Mode and then activating each extension individually to see which might be the biggest culprit to your overall issues: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

Hopefully with a little time you'll have it tuned to where it's best overall

Edited by ChuckPasadena, 26 November 2015 - 01:02 AM.

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:50 AM

I use Maxthon Cloud Browser , no issues anymore / Addons / Builtin Downloader ,Resource Sniffer, Snap and more,  test it out.

You could try other Browsers....PaleMoon , Opera , Chrome.

#4 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:56 AM

Maxthon looks pretty nice, I'll try that one out. And thanks Chuck for all the links. They are helpful.

Hulk_Tag.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

Firefox has included a "clean reset" feature for a number of releases now.   There are a lot of problems that occur from add-ons and/or themes that are still on a given individual's machine but that are only "semi-compatible" with Firefox as it is now.

I have even had Firefox prompt me if it notices that it's running slowly to see if I want to do a reset.  If you want to keep using Firefox at all I'd suggest you take a look at the add-ons/extensions/themes that you actually use, make note of those, then do a Firefox reset and reload only those that you noted.  It's amazing how much baggage many of use end up carrying without really being aware that we're carrying it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

and, clear out the cache every so often

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

and, clear out the cache every so often

Amen to that!!   And not just for Firefox, either.

Most of the problems I've ever had with any web browser could be traced back to cache corruption and were resolved simply by purging cache.  I find that the cache cleaning feature in CCleaner is easier and quicker to use if you're trying to clear cache than the built-in function in most web browsers.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hey guys.

I'm really getting sick of how slow Firefox is. I've been a long time Firefox user but I don't know if I can take it anymore. There's times where it runs good but recently, it just freezes constantly and I can't type on websites without constant lag. Yes, I usually have quite a few programs open but I have 16gb of ram and a AMD FX 8350 cpu (watercooled) on a Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard along with SSD for my drives.

Firefox run's usually around 180,000k - 240,000k but can go as high as 300,000k - 350,000k accordingly to Task Manager. I have quite a few programs that run higher than that and perform better.

Any personal experiences like this with Firefox and solutions? Maybe common issues?

Please try to avoid just posting links with a long list of troubleshooting steps, I've went through quite a few of them.

Here is a post from another forum. This person is having pretty good luck wit FF. Perhaps your issue is not an inherent FF problem.

"I have noticed Edge being sluggish and more demanding of CPU resources than Firefox.  Today, for example, I had 5 or 6 tabs open in Edge, with it being the only browser I had open, and the computer I'm using had some noticeable sluggishness in browsing and when opening other apps such as WPS Writer and WPS Spreadsheets.  Granted, I had 2 tabs open for Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) and it is a heavily tasking website.  But, with Edge closed and Firefox open with 25 tabs and then opening kbb.com and obtaining a price quote on a car, I did not experience the negative impact I noticed with Edge. 

I have drifted away from Firefox for periods of time but I have enjoyed using it with Windows 10.  I have the latest version of Firefox, which is 42.0 at this time.  During the months I've used it with Windows 10, it has consistently performed well with many tabs open and/or viewing complex web pages. One feature I like very much is being able to right click and get a popup panel with Forward and Back buttons for navigating pages. With Edge, moving the mouse pointer up to the upper left corner of the window to click the Back or Forward button is required."

#9 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

Firefox has included a "clean reset" feature for a number of releases now.   There are a lot of problems that occur from add-ons and/or themes that are still on a given individual's machine but that are only "semi-compatible" with Firefox as it is now.

I have even had Firefox prompt me if it notices that it's running slowly to see if I want to do a reset.  If you want to keep using Firefox at all I'd suggest you take a look at the add-ons/extensions/themes that you actually use, make note of those, then do a Firefox reset and reload only those that you noted.  It's amazing how much baggage many of use end up carrying without really being aware that we're carrying it.

Yep, I just used it recently and it's been working a lot better.

Hey guys.

Here is a post from another forum. This person is having pretty good luck wit FF. Perhaps your issue is not an inherent FF problem.

"I have noticed Edge being sluggish and more demanding of CPU resources than Firefox.  Today, for example, I had 5 or 6 tabs open in Edge, with it being the only browser I had open, and the computer I'm using had some noticeable sluggishness in browsing and when opening other apps such as WPS Writer and WPS Spreadsheets.  Granted, I had 2 tabs open for Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) and it is a heavily tasking website.  But, with Edge closed and Firefox open with 25 tabs and then opening kbb.com and obtaining a price quote on a car, I did not experience the negative impact I noticed with Edge. 

I have drifted away from Firefox for periods of time but I have enjoyed using it with Windows 10.  I have the latest version of Firefox, which is 42.0 at this time.  During the months I've used it with Windows 10, it has consistently performed well with many tabs open and/or viewing complex web pages. One feature I like very much is being able to right click and get a popup panel with Forward and Back buttons for navigating pages. With Edge, moving the mouse pointer up to the upper left corner of the window to click the Back or Forward button is required."

That's a great suggestion, although I've used the Firefox clean reset and it's been working a lot better lately.

Hulk_Tag.png

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:52 AM

[never mind, googled: FF reset is FF refresh; got my answer]

Edited by RolandJS, 04 December 2015 - 06:54 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users