Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Security Software Setup

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:15 PM

Hey guys, I have been using Malwarebytes Premium and Eset Nod32 for years now, they are great. They are my main Security Setup on my computer along with other utilities like AdwCleaner, RKill and even DDS when I need to do some manual work.

I'm still just curious on what everyone thinks is the best set of anti-spyware, anti-virus, anti-malware, etc programs to use together. I'm looking for your opinion, not a link to a website or topic which supplies suggestions.

I'm thinking about getting SuperAntiSpyware to go along with Malwarebytes and Nod32. Is it bad to have SAS Pro and MBAM Premium together?

And also, what do people think about programs like IObit Advanced SystemCare and TuneUp Utitlies? I've used both for what they have to offer (except their registy cleaning) but I don't ever notice a difference in my computer's performance. Only thing I like about them I guess is that they do scheduled clean ups. Oh and I also like IObit's Driver Booster, it seems helpful but is it safe?

Sorry for the multiple questions, if you don't feel like answering them all, maybe you could just simply share your Security Software Setup that you have on your computer and why you chose those particular programs.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,610 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:23 AM

And also, what do people think about programs like IObit Advanced SystemCare and TuneUp Utitlies? I've used both for what they have to offer (except their registy cleaning) but I don't ever notice a difference in my computer's performance. Only thing I like about them I guess is that they do scheduled clean ups. Oh and I also like IObit's Driver Booster, it seems helpful but is it safe?

"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:"Driver Updater" programs are also useless. I strongly advise you to Driver Booster and to never use such programs again since they can damage your system at a point where a reinstallation of Windows might be needed.
  • Drivers are "middlemen" between your OS (Windows) and your hardware (computer). They control and facilitate the interaction between Windows and hardware components, to deliver a "message", nothing more;
  • Having all of your drivers up to date, all the time, will not improve the performance of your system, nor your computer. You cannot increase the hardware performance of a component over the current capabilities it have;
  • Driver updates are released to fix a bug or an issue with a previous release of that driver. Not everyone with the same drivers will experience the issue, so if you are having no problems with the drivers you are running, you don't need to update them. "If it's not broken, don't fix it";
  • You can download drivers for free from your computer/laptop manufacturers website, or from the hardware component manufacturers website. You don't need to pay for any of them, if you are being asked to pay for drivers it is likely a scam;
  • Only drivers from the computer/laptop manufacturers website, or the hardware component manufacturers website are considered official (legitimate and working). You should not download drivers from anywhere else;
  • Driver Updaters are a scam, they try to convince you that you need these programs in order to make your system perform well, which is false;
  • It has been tested and proven that these programs will detect outdated drivers on a system that have the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, which shows that they don't work and/or they try to make you install "newer" suspicious drivers;
  • The goal of the distributors of such programs is to make money by making you buy their useless product, or install additional software (PUPs) when you install their program. Your system will perform worse with these programs installed than without;
This being said, such programs could be seen as "pure scam" and should be avoided at all cost.

Here's some articles that talks about Driver Updater programs and why they shouldn't be used:

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:40 AM

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. Please read:Here are links to BC polls:The more effective security scanners to supplement your anti-virus are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

If you use Malwarebytes Premium, there really is no need to use SUPERAntiSpyware Pro. I recommend just using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection, auto-Scanning, auto-updates or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, it does offer technology to deal with some rootkit infections so it gives you another tool to use for a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.

Advanced SystemCareFree is a suite of protection, performance and privacy tools by IObit. It provides basic protection from security threats, basic system optimization and auto clean for privacy security when logging on. Optimization includes a registry cleaner that purports to improve performance, make repairs and tune up a computer.

Advanced SystemCare PRO is a more comprehensive optimization suite by IObit with additonal features to include enhanced malware protection, system tuneup, deep registry cleaning, an Internet booster and an assortment of "Smart Tools" for computer maintenance.

Advanced SystemCare Ultimate incorporates the same comprehensive optimization suite with additional security protection which includes BitDefender antivirus technology and the IObit anti-malware engine.

The optimization and performance improvement claims made by such software vendors are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them. For other user comments...read iOBit Advanced System Care, Good or Bad.

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware. IOBIT was placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling toolbars.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:06 AM

Thanks guys, you have been extremely helpful. I have uninstalled Advanced SystemCare. Hopefully it didn't do too much damage. I've read the article on Registry Cleaners before though so I never used that feature luckily. I might reinstall my Firefox though because it does seem slow since Advanced SystemCare got ahold of it.

Those polls are awesome, I will definitely check out those other programs.

The driver updater articles are interesting, I will never be using those again, I was very surprised by how many were outdated too.

Any recommendations on fixing what the tune up and driver updater programs did or is it not possible?

Hulk_Tag.png

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:22 AM

...Any recommendations on fixing what the tune up and driver updater programs did or is it not possible?

Some of these utilities will prompt you to back up the registry before using them. These backups are usually saved in the program's folder so they can be accessed and used to restore the system in the event you encounter issues after running the registry cleaner. If that is the case, you can open the registry cleaning program which made the changes and look for an 'undo' feature which allows you to restore the registry backup before uninstalling it.

#6 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:31 AM

I never used the registry cleaner. Plus, I uninstalled and deleted all remnants of the programs so I won't be able to use the backups.

Only thing I thought of doing to restore some things it may have done was restored my browser to factory settings.

Hulk_Tag.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

Such software can install themselves in various areas of your operating system to include your browser and the registry so resetting the browser to default settings can work in some cases.

#8 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

Right on.

Any other things like this you suggest I do? Since I can't really restore from backups.

Or just leave it as is?

Hulk_Tag.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

If you encountering any issues or want a more thorough checkup, you can start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

#10 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:52 AM

Right on. Sounds good, I appreciate your help Quietman.

Hulk_Tag.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#12 Zahid Iqbal1

Zahid Iqbal1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:22 AM

Since last 8 years approx, i am using KasperSky Antivirus and believe me it never disappoint me. Norton is also a good option to add in your OS. As you always observed, all tech giants rely on Norton when we want to upload files in emails and other services.

#13 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:28 AM

Haha, I'm good on Norton.

I hear KasperSky is pretty good though.

Hulk_Tag.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

Norton and Kaspersky are fine but you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

#15 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Yep, I use Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Hitman along with my Antivirus.

Hulk_Tag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users