Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan running more than usual, physical memory usage high

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ucwheels

Ucwheels

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

My name is David, and I found your forum through my efforts to resolve a computer problem. Any guidance you might be able to provide would be wonderful. 

Here is my basic computer information: Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel Core Quad CPU at 2.67 GHz with 4GB of physical memory and the 64-bit OS.

In the past few days, I noticed my CPU fan is running more than usual. I am a quadriplegic and I spend all day on the computer, so I pay close attention to how it's working. 

I checked my system performance through the task manager, and nearly 70% of my physical memory is being used. I don't know for certain, but that seems high to me. 

I have tried to investigate my processes, but I don't really know what I am looking at. 

The only things I have done out of the ordinary lately are download an episode of Survivor from a torrent site and experiment with a VPN service, which I have since uninstalled.

To resolve the fan running problem, I have run scans with Malwarebyes and Ad-Aware which removed a handful of suspicion files. I also have Norton Security running at all times. The problem still remains. 

I have attached a few screenshots that I hope will be helpful (the Wivik programs are related to my onscreen keyboard). 

Please let me know if I can provide any other information that would be helpful. What should I do next? 

Best, 

David 

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.JPG   243.48KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.JPG   217.94KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.JPG   208.26KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.JPG   142.07KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

Hello Ucwheels. I can help you if you will download,install and run Process Hacker. http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/

Run as adminstator and lets see what process(s) are eating you ram from here. From there we can dig deeper and see what the underlying problem might be if it's OS related. From your screenshots I can't get a clear picture.

Also press Windows key + R type mdsched.exe and hit ok then restart and run the test. Let's check if your ram has become faulty. I will be back on tomorrow unless someone else can help you before then.

Edited by sAyer, 26 November 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#3 Ucwheels

Ucwheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:19 AM

Hi sAyer,

I appreciate your time working with me on this.

I ran the memory checker, and no errors were detected. I also installed and ran Process Hacker. I have included numerous screenshots from the processes, services and network tabs. I hope it helps. 

I should also note that the first process, "svchost.exe," started out at over 600mb, but it quickly reduced to the displayed size by the time I took the screenshot.

Do you see any red flags? Thanks again. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  a.JPG   209.36KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  b.JPG   200.33KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  b1.JPG   33.3KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  c.JPG   88.74KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  d.JPG   151.38KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  e.JPG   163.32KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  f.JPG   151.83KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  g.JPG   156.79KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  h.JPG   152.81KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  i.JPG   151.02KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  j.JPG   156.78KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  k.JPG   151.33KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  l.JPG   151.33KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  m.JPG   151.33KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  n.JPG   154.52KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  o.JPG   154.52KB   0 downloads

#4 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

I would say run a scan with Hitmanpro and uninstall Spybot. Just my opinion, their day has come and gone.

You have alot of unnecessary processes running in the background.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173347/beginner-geek-everything-you-need-to-know-about-disabling-startup-programs-on-windows/?PageSpeed=noscript

The old standby is http://www.snapfiles.com/get/autoruns.html

As far as the fan running ? You can always check the S.M.A.R.T. with CrystalDiskInfo. Have the case opened and the fan(s) blown clean with compressed air.

Also download Speccy and check your tempatures https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Good Luck

Edited by sAyer, 27 November 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#5 Ucwheels

Ucwheels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:46 AM

Appreciate your guidance. I took your advice on all fronts, and while the memory usage is still fairly high, the fan has stopped running endlessly. I feel like I am not on the verge of burning this thing out. 

All the best,

David 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users