Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs and stalls while scrolling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TinaMW

TinaMW

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

My computer hangs up and freezes when I am scrolling while online.  It is the worst when I am in Yahoo mail and Facebook.  It is not because my drive is fragmented because I keep that under control.  I don't know what is causing it. 

Can you help?

Thanks!

Tina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:05 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TinaMW

TinaMW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

I think I have everything that you requested.  Please let me know if I missed anything.  And, thank you so much for helping me!

Tina

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?    Windows 10

·
x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?     64

·
What was original installed OS on system?     Windows 7

· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?     Windows 7 came pre-installed; Windows 10 was directly from Microsoft when Windows 10 was released.

· Age of system (hardware)     2010

· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?     no

· CPU     Intel® Core™ i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz 2.27 GHz

· Video Card     AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series

· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)     Laptop

· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)     Laptop

·
System Manufacturer     ASUS

·
Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)     AR5B95

· Laptop or Desktop?     Laptop

Attached Files

Edited by TinaMW, 26 November 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

Many errors due to neilson online - please uninstall it.

Many, many errors due to Advanced System Optimizer

Your UEFI/BIOS (version K52Jr.205) dates from 2009.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

There are several ApphelpHardBlock errors in the WER section of MSINFO32.
I suspect that this means that you have incompatible software installed.
The ApphelpHardBlock message means that an incompatible program has been blocked, but it does not specify which program it is.
Please check your older software for compatibility with this version of Windows.

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TinaMW

TinaMW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:51 PM

Hi!T

Thanks for your advice!  I did some of the above but am not sure how to do all of them. 

• Nielson Online - I don't want to uninstall this
  • Advanced System Optimizer - I uninstalled
  • Running the command in the Powershell - did that
  • I uninstalled my antivirus and installed one AVG Antivirus for Windows 10
  • Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio & video drivers -- don't know how to do this.
  • Get all available Windows updates - done
  • Get all available W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website - don't know how to do this.
  • Get all available W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software - don't know how to do this.

If you could help me with those, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Tina

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

As the Nielson program is the most likely problem - can you uninstall it and then install a fresh copy?

If not, then you may want to contact the Nielson people to see what they suggest that you do to fix the errors.

Have you updated the BIOS?  If not, see the next paragraph (as that's where you can find the BIOS also)

Latest W10 drivers (BIOS, audio, video, and other programs) should be available at the Asus support site for your system:  http://www.asus.com/support

If Asus doesn't provide W10 drivers/updates, there may be a compatibility issue with the system.

If there is a compatibility problem, then you may have to revert to the original OS.

Then, any programs that were added after the computer left the factory will have to be updated also.

You have to go to each different manufacturer's website and check to see if the program version that you have is compatible w/W10 (or if there is an update that will make it compatible).

If it's not compatible (and there aren't any updates available), then you'll have to uninstall them.

The one's with the HardBlock won't allow you to uninstall them - but that's OK as the system won't let them run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users