Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dell Inspiron Win7 slow and overloaded. Virus?Malware?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

Starting Over.

Back in September, I started a post, which due to personal delays, et al (mea culpa) seemed to grow wild and weedy, so please accept my thanks for all help there and, if appropriate, apologies to extent I might owe any for inconvenience of a restart, which seems to make sense. I know that such will certainly will help me as I get easily intimidated and 'overloaded' with/by too much data. thanks!  A link to that soon-to-be-slosed topic is below. If I can't do it, I'd request that a moderator and/or the ever-wise and kind gentleman and scholar, C47, oops, I mean DC3 [ ;-D] to close it on my behalf.

Dear Bleeping Computer,

A reboot/restart. The concerns  remain valid.

You folks are wonderful. You have helped me ‘learn computers’ and extended the life of my XP’s and NT’s. Thanks.

My queries:

I write because I now have acquired - from the original owner – (although I don’t know him, I believe him) this ‘new to me’ laptop computer. It is a Dell Inspiron Windows 7 Premium Home Edition as follows (from ad, but seems correct):

DELL Inspiron 1545 Laptop - 15.6" - Windows 7 - Pentium Dual Core CPU

Model PP41L

2.30GHz Pentium Dual Core T4500

250GB Storage Hard Drive

15.6" HD Widescreen Display (1366 x 768)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installation

In summary, given my limited intended uses, I hope to learn what to dump, what to keep, in hopes of more speed and security.

My Main Goals and Concerns

I. Speed, especially when online or running a few programs.

On my Old Dell XP laptop, (which has most of the my still-preferred programs as discussed below), it shows that when no “Applications” are up, running and listed that first “Applications” tab of task manager, (i.e., it’s waiting for me to start doing something); I have it stripped down to where it lists only 18 to 22 memory-using processes running in the background on the later tabs. (I don’t use it online anymore and only add to it by typing or editing text documents on Word Perfect.)

In contrast, however, a review of task manager on this new Dell Windows 7 Inspiron Laptop shows that when ‘nothing’ is displayed as “running” on that first (“Applications”) tab, there are, nevertheless still ~78 memory using processes displayed on that second/third tab.  Thus, it frankly see (likely  is) slower than my old one although this new one has one TWELVE times the RAM as my old Dell XP laptop, which had (256 MB RAM) and only 16 GB hard drive. I feel this new Win7 Dell should run faster and that it, to me,  appears to have too much BS surplusage- type programs, on it, etc.

II. A Significant Concern: Privacy; the simple right to be let alone!

I’ve read repeatedly  - and likewise believe - that most later versions of computers and programs consistently make it easier for snoopers (i.e., “our” supposedly ‘benevolent’ government and its alphabet soup agencies) to keep track on us. I don’t need most of the latest and greatest as I’m mostly a text type person who spends 90% of computer time on text related matters.

I’ve been aware of such long before anyone ever heard of Snowden and am rather confident that those folks keep track of certain folks at a higher level than others. (For example, I imagine that they would try far harder to keep track of me more so than of my grandmother who mostly plays mah jong (sp?) on her computer.)  [I strongly believe in the right to privacy, the right to be left alone, and am disgusted at ‘our’ government’s absurd anti privacy actions hidden – due to its malevolence – behind huge walls of secrecy. If they weren’t doing anything wrong, why would they hide it so? After all, unlike people, the government should NOT have greater rights of privacy EXCEPT in the rare cases of national security, which has been blown all out of proportion. [It’s a sin to have to declare this but I am not doing a d***** thing wrong, etc., and am not hiding anything, in sharp contrast to what ‘our’ government is doing.]

III. My Typical and Intended Useage of my “new to me” Dell Inspiron 64 bit Win7.

I use the web and browsers to research online databases such as court records, mortgages, etc.  I then use my internal programs to analyze that mundane data.  A fair breakout of my time on a computer is:

Online:  35%

Offline: 65%

My Plan re Browsers: I’m leaning towards

I expect to load likely three or four (hopefully) worthwhile browsers, the first presumably being some version of IE. (What version should I have? How many bits?) (Does it make sense to use a lower level of I.E., and/or a 32 bit version of any?)

So I shall probably have one or two versions of IE.

Added to that, I will likely add two to three? Four? more browsers such as:

-      Mozilla Firefox? Safari?

-        Google Chrome,

-        etc.

[As to that “etc.” I am completely open to suggestions here, preferring the fastest, ugliest, lowest RAM using, most dependable of the bunch, that also feeds as little as possible to our sundry “Big Brother” agencies who gather our data ‘for our protection.’

(I know there are all sorts of high tech encryption tools, etc. but I am not Julian Assange, nor intend to learn computers well enough to hide from those who have no right to read or copy my information nor that of  my clients. Thus I simply hope to keep such at a minimum, although I wonder if that is even possible these days. (“Truly Orwellian, the internet has become,” says Yoda.)

C: Other programs I hope to use:

I have only installed onto it MS Office, 2000, (the only disk I could find at present.)

Other programs I hope load onto this new Windows 7, (from online and/or disks I have lying around – when I find them) the following programs:

-A more recent version of MS Office (I’ve got a disk somewhere.)

-Word Perfect (WPD) Suite 8- which works super well with my job. (I’ve got a disk somewhere.)

-The latest version of WPD that still has “Quickfinder”: (WPD 10, I believe -(I’ve got a disk somewhere.)

-The latest version of WPD that I have lying around (WPD 11, 12?) (despite their lack of Quickfinder);

- Adobe Reader (and maybe acrobat);

- Some time keeping program, like Timeslips;

- Quicken or QuickBooks;

(FYI if relevant)Another future plan / possible future question/issue /  - I plan to also get a small desktop with Windows 7 and perhaps network that computer with this one. That’s another question for a later time and I provide it here simply if such might be relevant to any recommendations.]

I thought I might need run a program but shant until told otherwise. YOU FOLKS ARE GREAT!.

Felix Cattus*  (From Something I learned about cats a ways back:

The Latin name of your cat? Felis cattus. (Hence that FIRST cartoon)

The Latin name of a European Forest Cat? (They look like Maine Coons) Answer: Felis SILVESTRIS! {As in Sylvester the Cat.}

[No Latin learnings? No worries. The felis/felix applies to all purring cats as they ‘sound’ happy. (As in felicity or Felice Navidad.) As to sylvestris (e.g., Sylvester the Cat) sylv*** means of the forest, such as Penns Woods? You know, Pennsylvania?

Plus This on 11/25/2015

Now, re my Dell Win7 laptop...

dc3, et al:

Back to my first point. This computer seems/likely does go much too slow. I've got MSE updated on it, and a full system scan shows nada. I think I need the to give you another system review result as It's likely changed since I did whatever before. I'll let you specify what so that I don't overload with unneeded data.

My feeling is this:  as long as I've had computers (until this one) I had other folks who would control and download the installations for me. (They worked for me and now I'm staff - free. (Maybe like staph-free, eh? Sure lowers the overhead caosts.)  So I finally learned how to work on computers and did my first installation around two years ago?

My end goal is to have this computer open and run with as very few programs as possible, despite being told by others and staph [ ;-p ] {for one of them in particular} that they merely 'run in the background, using no RAM".  Thus I would then - and seem to now - have all sorts of never used programs 'up and ready to run.' I'd simply rather use them when I need them and close them when done. (I've learned HOW to do that but figure that the best approach for now is to first ensure I'm virus/malware free before I do so, as I do feel I've got some trojan on here. (I can't guarantee my terms...)

One example: I'm on firefox right now and I try to click the above smiley where I put the hand-typed one above and it won't go there with a double tap.  . :guitar: :guitar:

I did open the below where it says show all and succeeded. The slowness I experience is indicative of problems and I'm rather confident that when done, this thing will be MORE than fast enough for me.

(A question, I can barely see any of the critters available below, nor can pic them from there so I had to open the page at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends. I can't pull down - nor up the border to get there,nor open the window.

So I'm all ears.

My old topic was this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590631/new2me-win7-dell-inspiron-laptop-slow-too-much-junk/page-2#entry3872188

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:03 PM

As if to prove above point, when I posted above, it took over 20 seconds... Meanwhile, the Task Manager spent 97% of its memory doing nothing in "system idle process."

(I had that  same problem with an older Dell Inspiron XP and the best way I ever found to beat it there was to remove battery and push power button for 5 seconds - as I had read though I'd typically hold it down for 30 seconds.) (If felt very much like draining a charge/electricity out of a capacitor with a screwdriver.)

#3 Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:10 AM

Hi there,

I can offer you some explanations. If there is anything malware related we can run some tools to check.

The "System Idle Process" is actually something that shows how much CPU is being idle (doing nothing). A high number indicates that your computer is not doing anything much, and is *idle*. You can see details here, although it's quite a bit of technobabble and I don't understand part of it myself.

Programs need RAM to run, as they put their data into RAM while running... so you can have "use as little RAM as possible" but never "using no RAM". :lol:

From your old MiniToolbox log, I would also recommend that you uninstall WildTangent Games, and Skype Toolbar if you do not use it. WildTangent Games is bloatware that comes with a lot of OEM machines.

A slow computer can be something else, not just malware. Since dc3 had you run MBAM and ESET Online Scanner, please run this instead. This scan is very fast comparing to the other three scans you have.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Please download Emsisoft Emergency Kit and save it to your desktop. Double click on the EmsisoftEmergencyKit file you downloaded to extract its contents and create a shortcut on the desktop. Leave all settings as they are and click the Extract button at the bottom. A folder named EEK will be created in the root of the drive (usually c:\).
  • After extraction please double-click on the new Start Emsisoft Emergency Kit icon on your desktop.
  • The first time you launch it, Emsisoft Emergency Kit will recommend that you allow it to download updates. Please click Yes so that it downloads the latest database updates.
  • When update is complete, click Malware Scan. When asked if you want the scanner to scan for Potentially Unwanted Programs, click Yes. Emsisoft Emergency Kit will start scanning.
  • When the scan is completed click Quarantine selected objects. Note, this option is only available if malicious objects were detected during the scan.
  • When the threats have been quarantined, click the View report button in the lower-right corner, and the scan log will be opened in Notepad.
  • Please save the log in Notepad on your desktop and post the contents in your next reply.
  • When you close Emsisoft Emergency Kit, it will give you an option to sign up for a newsletter. This is optional, and is not necessary for the malware removal process.
If you have any questions, please let me know.

#4 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hi, All. I realize that my above entries are like a kid's santa claus list, [a/k/a, (in adult lingo) too 'aspirational' to be practical] which, on review, provided no real way for you wise men - oops, wise souls:*

-to isolate the important from the extraneous, or even

-suggest x, y, or  z, due to every poster's differing preferences/predilictions/idiosynchracies of which I have more than one's fair share, it seems. (Even in this paragraph... Sorry.) (Now, if you wish for some excuses, I've got beau coup, yet their likely length alone proves just how far they might be from reasonable explanations; hence, my apologies.) (ENOUGH!)

First, I've GOT to have something wrong/virus/malware. CPU freezes up even when I simply turn it on/ boot it up, and open ONLY notepad. THEN,  if I start to type too fast - I'm likely 40 wpm., MAX - it will/has shut down and frozen the system to the point that I've no choise other than hold the power button down for ten seconds to override the freeze up.

So I here start again. I deleted the 'tangent?" games - or whatever it was called, and even that SEEMED to make it faster. (Placebo effect?) Same was per the suggestion of the above author - the author's name not being in front of  me, but the advice helpful, I must say thanks to that soul who so recommended.

[<};-)> ]

MSE  SHOWS NADA. (current) and full system scan shows NADA. [FWIW, I've had MSE almost since I first hooked this up to the internet (hard nwired), and it has NEVER found a thing. ]

I downloaded malwarebytes and same result. That was last on 9/28/15 and just now I updated it (12.1.2015) and re ran it and again, nada.

I'm going to rerun speccy or whatever it's called and past results below my footnotes.

Help. I am open for suggestions. I wish to use this for:

Internet access via IE or Firefox or I am open (although other browsers never come up with anywhere good enough results that I've seen. A question: is there a true boolean search engine? Google darn sure is not. (The Westlaw (a pay- site for attorneys) darn sure is, etc.)

-         Wordperfect,

-         Internet filing of  PDF’s with Adobe Reader and perhaps Acrobat;

-         MS Word, Wordpad, Notepad,

-         Some voice recognition system;

-         Quicken or Quickbooks,

-         Minesweeper,

-         News type videos (NOT movies nor TV)

-         MS XL Spreadsheet program (Low level)

-         Keep same malware and PUP free. Etc.

Again, Help and I hope this shortening down helps, too. (If'any have posted since I was last  on here, I'll try to reply later for I must now go.)

*On a cool note, as I wrote above point about "Wise Men" - which I politically correctly/not wishing to alienate a soul, I changed the wording... **my ancient 400 CD player (on random) is playing James Taylor's, "Go Home Another Way." - Go figure.  (Lyrics are about The Three Wise Men.) See, e.g., of http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/james_taylor/home_by_another_way.html.

** (I joke not- indeed, I ALWAYS mean what I say and SAY WHAT I MEAN. If I use sarcasm/facetiousness, I ALWAYS declare it. Note that I have not.)  Indeed, my Mum was a/the highest ranking engineer on Shuttle's Communications/Computer link up to  Houston, until she retired. (Indeed, both parents and all siblings - and all their spouses save one - were / are engineers on space program then and now (some). Call me the 'dark' sheep, or, hopefully equivalently, the 'ugly duckling.' 

Speccy Results on 12/1/15

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Intel Pentium T4500 @ 2.30GHz          44 °C

Penryn 45nm Technology

3.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)

Dell Inc. 0G848F (Microprocessor)      50 °C

Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)

Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Dell)

Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Dell)

232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500BEVT-75A23T0 (SATA)       42 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633C

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Computer type: Portable

Installation Date: 8/29/2015 2:24:47 PM

Windows Security Center

Windows Security Center

User Account Control (UAC)   Enabled

Notify level       2 - Default

Firewall            Enabled

Windows Update

AutoUpdate     Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time

Schedule Frequency     Every Day

Schedule Time  3:00 AM

Windows Defender

Windows Defender       Disabled

Antivirus           Enabled

Company Name           Microsoft

Display Name   Microsoft Security Essentials

Product Version 

Virus Signature Database          Up to date

.NET Frameworks installed

v4.5 Full

v4.5 Client

v3.5 SP1

v3.0 SP2

v2.0 SP2

Internet Explorer

Version            11.0.9600.18097

Version            2.0

Java Runtime Environment

Path     C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin\java.exe

Version            8.0

Update 60

Build    27

Java Runtime Environment

Path     C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin\java.exe

Version            8.0

Update 66

Build    18

Environment Variables

USERPROFILE           C:\Users\Admin

SystemRoot      C:\Windows

User Variables

Machine Variables

AC Line           Online

Battery Charge %         100 %

Battery State    High

Remaining Battery Time            Unknown

Power Profile

Active power scheme   Dell

Hibernation       Enabled

Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power)            30 min

Turn Off Monitor after: (On Battery Power)      5 min

Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power)        20 min

Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On Battery Power)   10 min

Suspend after: (On AC Power) 120 min

Suspend after: (On Battery Power)       15 min

Screen saver     Disabled

Current Session

Current Time    12/1/2015 10:36:02 PM

Current Uptime 10,894 sec (0 d, 03 h, 01 m, 34 s)

Last Boot Time 12/1/2015 7:34:28 PM

TimeZone         GMT -5:00 Hours

Language          English (United States)

Location           United States

Format English (United States)

Currency          $

Date Format     M/d/yyyy

Time Format     h:mm:ss tt

12/1/2015 11:20 PM;   Adobe Flash Player Updater

1/7/2016 12:32 PM;     HPCeeScheduleForAdmin

Adobe Acrobat Update Task

System Folders

Process List

Security Options

Device Tree

Intel Pentium T4500

Cores   2

Threads            2

Name   Intel Pentium T4500

Code Name     Penryn

Package           Socket P (478)

Technology       45nm

Specification     Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4500 @ 2.30GHz

Family  6

Extended Family           6

Model  7

Extended Model           17

Stepping           A

Revision           R0

Instructions       MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel 64, NX

Virtualization     Not supported

Hyperthreading Not supported

Bus Speed        199.4 MHz

Rated Bus Speed          797.7 MHz

Stock Core Speed        2300 MHz

Stock Bus Speed          200 MHz

Average Temperature   45 °C

L1 Data Cache Size      2 x 32 KBytes

L1 Instructions Cache Size        2 x 32 KBytes

L2 Unified Cache Size  1024 KBytes

Core Speed      Multiplier          Bus Speed        Rated Bus Speed          Temperature     Threads

Core 0 1196.9 MHz    x 6.0    199.5 MHz      798.0 MHz      47 °C   APIC ID: 0

Core 1 1196.9 MHz    x 6.0    199.5 MHz      798.0 MHz      45 °C

Memory slots

Total memory slots       2

Used memory slots       2

Free memory slots        0

Type    DDR2

Size      3072 MBytes

Channels #       Dual

DRAM Frequency        332.5 MHz

CAS# Latency (CL)     5 clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)  5 clocks

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks

Cycle Time (tRAS)       15 clocks

Physical Memory

Memory Usage 39 %

Total Physical   2.96 GB

Available Physical         1.80 GB

Total Virtual     5.92 GB

Available Virtual           4.44 GB

Number Of SPD Modules        2

Slot #1

Slot #2

Manufacturer    Dell Inc.

Model  0G848F (Microprocessor)

Chipset Vendor            Intel

Chipset Model  GM45/GM47

Chipset Revision           07

Southbridge Vendor     Intel

Southbridge Model       82801IM (ICH9-M)

Southbridge Revision    03

System Temperature     53 °C

Brand   Dell Inc.

Version            A14

Date     12/7/2009

PCI Data

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type         PCI-E

Slot Usage        Available

Data lanes        x1

Slot Designation            PCIE Slot 0

Characteristics  3.3V

Slot Number     0

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type         PCI-E

Slot Usage        Available

Data lanes        x1

Slot Designation            PCIE Slot 1

Characteristics  3.3V

Slot Number     1

Hard drives

WDC WD2500BEVT-75A23T0

Manufacturer    Western Digital

Form Factor     GB/2.5-inch

Business Unit/Brand      Mobile/WD Scorpio

Heads  16

Cylinders          30,401

Tracks  7,752,255

Sectors 488,392,065

SATA type       SATA-II 3.0Gb/s

Device type      Fixed

ATA Standard  ATA8-ACS

Serial Number  WD-WXG1A40X9093

Firmware Version Number       01.01A01

LBA Size         48-bit LBA

Power On Count          3019 times

Power On Time            79.7 days

Speed  5400 RPM

Features           S.M.A.R.T., APM, AAM, NCQ

Max. Transfer Mode    SATA II 3.0Gb/s

Used Transfer Mode    SATA II 3.0Gb/s

Interface           SATA

Capacity           232 GB

Real size           250,059,350,016 bytes

RAID Type      None

Status   Good

Temperature     41 °C

Temperature Range      OK (less than 50 °C)

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633C

Media Type      DVD Writer

Name   TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L633C

Availability        Running/Full Power

Capabilities       Random Access, Supports Writing, Supports Removable Media

Read capabilities           CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL

Write capabilities          CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL

Config Manager Error Code     Device is working properly

Config Manager User Config    FALSE

Drive    D:

Media Loaded  FALSE

SCSI Bus         0

SCSI Logical Unit        0

SCSI Port        0

SCSI Target Id 1

Status   OK

Edited by Platypus, 01 December 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#5 Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

Hi there,

Have you ran Emsisoft Emergency Kit?

#6 Felix Cattus

Felix Cattus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:35 PM

Also, I just downloaded and ran the scan recommended above, the Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

Sorry for the caps.

Right now, my task manager shows: 78 processes running.

If anyone can advise how to show them without typing them, I'm all ears.

I guess I could do screen captures of each - upon request - but note that I've closed all programs and my  'pin-bar' below (God, I miss NT/XP) only shows firefox and task manager running.

I see a note saying a new comment has arrived. I pray it's not mine.

Thanks again, all of you!

#7 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,166 posts
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

Between the two topics and the lack of results in both of these I would like to suggest that you use the System Recovery Partition to return the operating system to the condition it left the factory.  You will lose everything which has been added or created since you first started using the computer, so you will need to have all of your important data backed up to removable media, like an external hdd, Flash drive/s, DVDs, etc.  You will need to reinstall any programs that were added to this computer.

If you are willing to do this, follow the instructions below.

1.  With the computer off press the power button, immediately start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears.
2.  Use the up or down key to move the mouse pointer over Repair Your Computer, then click on Enter to select the option. Enter the administrator's username and password associated with the computer if requested, then click on Enter again.
3.  Select Dell Factory Image Restore to open the Dell Factory Image Restore program, which is housed on your Dell computer's hidden recovery partition.
4.  Click Next after reading the warning Executing this program can result in all of the personal data on your computer being erased. A window will open with the options associated with your computer's PC Restore program.  Click on Yes for the Reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 wuzzamatta

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

To Felix,

Trust me when I say:  your Inspiron 1545 is not running anywhere close to normal speeds... 

I was doing a search on the "Intel GM45 chipset" because I was curious about normal operating temperature range for my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.  Presently (Speccy), the CPU is running at 48 C and the motherboard at 57 C.   Regardless, I ran across your post and a had a couple days to kill so I decided to read :axe: .

Anyway, we share the same laptop.  I'm the original owner (2008).  I still operate windows 7/64.  I added two more gigs of RAM, three years ago, so I'm at 4GB.  I'm retired so I'm on my computer most of the day and night.  I've used this laptop, exclusively, for the last 8 years.  I play no games on my computer.  

Considering I paid $300 in 2008, I'd say I've gotten my "monies worth". lol

I'm all filled up on the original hard drive (I normally operate with about 10 to 15 GB free space).  I run google chrome with ABP popup blocker (no other extensions).   

With that said, I'm proud to say, my laptop is just about as fast as the day I brought it home. I keep my machine clean.  I keep dust exposure to a minimum through routine dusting and vacuuming.   I open up the back of the laptop and blow it out (air vents, ram boards, fan area) and reapplying new heat sink compound every 6 months.  I've installed the following malware free programs: Advanced System Care 10, Avast Free Antivirus, C Cleaner, Smart Defrag 5 & Malwarebytes.  I use CCleaner and Advanced System Care 10 at least once each day.  I Quik Defrag every 2 to 3 days.  I run an antivirus "Smart Scan" every 3 or 4 days.  Malwarebytes, maybe, once every couple weeks.  I manually "release" memory whenever my RAM exceeds 75% (this is done frequently whenever I have loads of internet pages open at the same time).   I clean the registry and check for unauthorized startup programs about once a week...

The point of this post? 

The Enemy Numero Uno of computers:  HEAT

The Enemy Numero Dos of computers:  Non existent or inconsistent PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE

If you take good care of your computer, it will work (like a bull) for a long, long time without "noticeable" change in speed or performance.  There are many suggestions, here, to reinstall OS or use a particular malware program but, in my humble opinion, it's all a waste of time if you don't know how to maintain your equipment and to employ "preventative" computer care regardless how the computer is running.  

PS:  I see my doctor every 3 years and I can still walk 4 miles in under 60 minutes with no difficulty.  I just turned 62 last month.  

Trust me when I say:  your Inspiron 1545 is not running anywhere close to normal speeds.  

From the time I turn my computer on, system boot time is routinely under 60 secs... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users