Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Firefox in LiveUSB

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Does anyone do this, and if so how?  I have tried sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get upgrade firefox but that starts the whole Upgrade process. 

Do I have to do a full Install of Firefox to get the newest version?

I'm curious about this from a security standpoint, and am not sure why it is not suggested by all these sites that say to use LiveDVD's for Bank Transactions?  Goes against everything I have read about Browser Security.

Thanks, pcpunk

Happy Gobble Gobble day!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Do I have to do a full Install of Firefox to get the newest version?

Steps:
1. In your terminal type:
sudo apt-get update
This will update your package lists so you can get the most recent version of Mozilla Firefox available in the repos.
2. In your terminal type:
sudo apt-get install firefox
This will download and install the most recent version of Mozilla Firefox listed in your package list, unless it is already installed.
3. (Optional) In your terminal type:
sudo apt-get clean
This will clean APT's cache. When you run a command like "sudo apt-get install firefox" firefox and any dependencies that need to be
downloaded get saved to APT's cache folder, but the system doesn't automatically delete them. Since you're running a liveUSB presumably
with persistence you probably don't want to keep those cached files, because it's more data being saved to the persistence file/partition.

I'm curious about this from a security standpoint, and am not sure why it is not suggested by all these sites that say to use LiveDVD's for Bank Transactions?

Running from a frugal environment (eg: a live-DVD) is often recommended by people because it helps ensure you are using an uncompromised (eg: not infected with malware, or hacked) OS, and because data from the session is only written to memory, it is physically erased when you reboot, so there are no traces of your activity for someone examining your computer to find. Please note, that by using a persistence file/partition, or by having an in-use swap partition, you potentially lose these advantages. Most people just use their regular OS, delete their browser cookies, clear their passwords, and clear their history, but if you're looking to up your level of security, using a frugal environment (eg: a live-DVD) is a popular next step.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

That's perfect hollowface, thank you very much and have a happy Gobble Gobble Day!

EDIT: I will be using this for the LiveUSB, and with your instructions also with the Persistence Mode.  Still working out the Persistence Install.  The one I made worked perfectly but was way to slow.  Wiz has turned me on to some (new to me) Instructions that might help, along with using the (new to me) Unetbootin that is much faster than the other installers I've tried.

Edited by pcpunk, 25 November 2015 - 10:35 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:00 AM

Lightweight Portable Security (lps-1.6.2)

Created for Department of Defense employess by the military specifically

for use on unknown and untrusted host computers and networks.

http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

@raw, Thanks - don't know if that is different than running any livelinux dvd, because I don't understand any of the terminology I read there lol., maybe I will some day.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

Still looking into all this Adobe Flash Player, and Firefox stuff via LiveLinuxUSB.  Sorry I'm a little slow to grasp it all, so posting some links to review later and get input.

It's not critical but trying to understand why Linux Mint has issues with Flash Player and Ubuntu don't, something to do with Licensing I guess.  I use Chomium in Mint to avoid this, and install pepperflashplugin-nonfree.  Also tried the instructions from hollowface but did not work for me, will have to revisit and try again.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-flash-plugin-view-videos-animations-games

This one is in Plug-ins in Firefox and must be one of the reasons Firefox works out of the box in Ubuntu and not in Mint?  And the second screen-shot must have something to do with it also.

http://www.openh264.org/

And something to do with this in Add-ons:

8xre43.png

Edited by pcpunk, 28 November 2015 - 07:42 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

Did you install restricted extras?

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Having trouble focusing right now Nick and this subject was secondary at the moment.  I posted that as I stated, but also because I was stuck without a way to save that site and that screenshot because did not have a spare usb drive to save that stuff over to.

This is my main objective though:  Just to be able to use Firefox (or whatever is fastest in LiveUSB) so that I can use the Live Environment efficiently.  Installing Chromium works well but it is a few extra steps.  If could just use firefox would be better.  Luckily Firefox works well in Ubuntu! but not in Mint.  So to test things out in Mint (Poor mans Virtual Machine) just want a simple way to do so.  If I remember correctly - the flash player is installed by default in Mint???  So why don't FF work then LOL.

Not real important guys so don't waste time if you don't have it, I will figure it out eventually.  I will try Ubuntu Restricted Extras Nick - but surely looking for a quick fix considering installing in the Live medium is lost, Persistence is WAY TO SLOW, done with all that.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

To check if you have Ubuntu Restricted Extras installed:

apt-cache policy ubuntu-restricted-extras
EDIT: spelling mistake in the command

Edited by Al1000, 28 November 2015 - 08:16 PM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:13 PM

I've followed instructions on www and it seems that it is installed by default but not named "ubuntu-restriced-extras" says something about conical or something.  I will try that AL!!!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

Note there was a spelling mistake in that command which I've now corrected.

I'm on Kubuntu at the moment and it doesn't have ubuntu-restricted-extras installed, but I checked and it's in the repositories. (I'm not sure why it's not installed, but Kubuntu doesn't seem to need it as it plays everything I throw at it).

One of the "20 things to do after installing Mint" on BinaryTides is to install ubuntu-restricted-extras.

http://www.binarytides.com/better-linux-mint-17-cinnamon/

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the link!!!  Yes, I expect that Kubuntu, Ubuntu based - would not need this as it only seems to be an issue with Mint in Live environment, if Chrome is installed it is fixed with the included plugin - at least with full install as you know.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

I'm on Kubuntu at the moment and it doesn't have ubuntu-restricted-extras installed,

Kubuntu has its own restricted extras package, Same for Xubuntu.

Edited by NickAu, 28 November 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

So it does, and I don't have that installed either. I won't discuss this here to keep the thread on-topic but thanks for the info; that's interesting.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

Was not succesful Updating Firefox but did get the flashplayer plugin installed but it's probably not worth it, just install chromium and pepperflash.  I guess if you have the file on a usb you can quickly drop it into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ and use firefox on youtube.  Isn't there an easy way to do this in a Live Enviroment?

I'm guessing one would have to remove Firefox before installing the newer one, will revisit that later with hollowfaces instructions again. 

Xfce is super snappy in live mode on usb!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users