Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seperate email address books are merging on iOS9

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JECTnet

JECTnet

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

A client of mine has linked his gmail and yahoo accounts to his iPhone 6 and is getting an unwanted side effect of the address books merging.

He wants to see his contacts from both on his phone, But he has a business partner that syncs to the same gmail and they are getting each others personal contacts.

Can the iPhone support separate address books? as i cannot seem to find a setting to do that. even 1 way syncing would be nice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

The Gmail and Yahoo account address books should still be separate even though they appear as one on the iPhone to my knowledge. You can control which ones are "shown" in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" setting in the Setting app. If you select one of the accounts in question, then you will see a list of account functions to enable/disable such as email, contact, calendar, notes, reminders (and others for a "prime" iCloud account). Which functions that are available depend on the type of account. IMAP will only show email and notes. Gmail will show email, contacts, calendars, and noted. Not sure about Yahoo.

If they are both adding personal contacts to the Gmail account, then in reality both are then syncing those personal contacts to the gmail account. If so, then the only way that I know to fix it would be for them to stop adding personal contacts to the gmail account they both use. Have each use a separate email account for their own personal contacts.

Edited by smax013, 25 November 2015 - 08:58 PM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:16 PM

I did a little testing.

The other way to changes which contacts show up from which accounts is the Groups "button" in the Contacts app. If you have more than one account set to show its contacts in the Settings app, then you can control which of the accounts are currently shown.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an easy way on the iPhone to select which gets the new contact added to it when you add a new account other then turning off the display of all the accounts except the one to which you want to add the account. Kind of a pain if you add contacts on your iPhone often. I am a little surprised Apple does not have a field in the contact to select which account the contact is in.

I will note that you can also only display certain "groups" of contacts. But again Apple makes it a really pain to deal with it in their Contacts app. You have to create the group on a non-iOS device. And adding a contact to a specific group within an email account requires the same step I outlined above for adding contacts to different accounts. Unfortunately, the Contacts app does not appear to show groups for Gmail accounts in my testing...only iCloud accounts (not sure about other services as I don't use Yahoo or Outlook.com). So, if they wanted to try to use groups, they would need to use an iCloud account.

The fact is that Apple's contact app for iOS is really crappy for handling multiple accounts and groups. It has very limited functionality from my "playing around".

One option to consider might be a third-party contact app. There appears to be some that might allow better control of groups if you want to use groups with Gmail, although I have not used any of them, so I cannot say how well.

Edited by smax013, 25 November 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#4 JECTnet

JECTnet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

Third party app is all i can do it seems,

The issue is that the contacts sync even when they don't add them, what i mean by this is one of them had all of his yahoo contacts dumped into the gmail due to his phone syncing contacts. he than deleted them, and now he has no contacts because when he deleted them in the gmail, it deleted the contacts from his yahoo.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Strange...it did not merge/sync contacts when I had multiple accounts with contacts turned on. Maybe it was because my main account is an iCloud account as was another of the test accounts, although I did test it with a Gmail account as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users