Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin account unreacable and account management not workig

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IerynEtra

IerynEtra

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

I've been to help my mum fix her computer since yesterday, after she had a power cut and the computer wasn't turned off correctly.  When she tried to log back in she found her administration account wasn't working or was corrupted.  In investigating and trying to sort the problem I have found numerous other problems.

The account management section of the control panel isn't accessable, it does nothing when clicked, so she can't create a new account and migrate her information.  There is another admin account, which does work, but the account management section can't be accessed through there either, nor can it be accessed in safe mode.  We disabled startup programs, except Windows, but this did not help, and now can't access msconfig to turn those programs back on.

Command prompt will not allow itself to be used at an administrator level, an error occurs, and when using it normally scf /scannow doesn't work either, the message claims this isn't a known command.  At this point command prompt no longer works.

I have tried using TeamViewer to help but cannot get access to the start menu, it simply won't allow it.

System restore can't be used as there are no restore points.

I attempted to run the windows anti virus you can get for free if you own a Microsoft product, but it would not initiate the scan.

I'm wondering if the computer has a virus, as my mum is not very good about regularly running checks.

While I could try more on my own it seems better to stop digging, as I only find more problems, and get help.

Thanks for reading, and any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:53 PM

Try enabling the hidden Administrator Account using this utility. You will need to create a bootable disk. The iso file can be burned to a disk in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. You can also burn the iso image using Imgburn. If using it make sure you opt out of any optional programs.

See this guide. The utility shown has been updated from that shown in the guide.

Reboot and you should be able to access the computer using "Administrator"

Edit: Here is a video that will help

Edit Edit: Because Vista users cannot update to Windows 10 and end of life for Vista is April 2017 I strongly suggest you move to a different OS especially if your mother only does some browsing, email, and banking. You can check out the following linux distros. Mint and Ubuntu.

Once you set up either distros with a strong password it is basically set and forget. You would only need to check monthly for any security updates. Your chances of getting malware are slim and none.

You can boot the distros as a live disk and see which one you prefer. There is a linux section at Bleeping Computer that would be able answer any question you may have. You would need to backup any personal data including bookmarks and any email before installing linux.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 November 2015 - 04:14 PM.

#3 IerynEtra

IerynEtra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

Sorry this has taken me so long to reply to. The boot disk doesn't work. At the point where you choose the partition no input is recognised. I can put the numbers in but nothing happens. After a short time it seems to automatically select partition 1, which I think is the wrong one as I am then unable to do much more, there are certainly no users found.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

I would create a bootable disk of UBCD you can download here. At the initial menu select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop click on Disk Health and run the short/long tests. This starts Gsmartcontrol. 

b03_pm-gsmartcontrol_reference.jpg

If the computer is an OEM like HP or Dell and the recovery partition is intact you may be able to do a factory reset after recovering data using Parted Magic per this guide.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

#5 IerynEtra

IerynEtra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

It's a packard bell, and does a factory reset delete everything, as the reason I'm trying to get into the account is that there are a lot of files in there.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

Yes, it deletes everything. I am not sure if Packard Bell has a recovery partition but you can use the Parted Magic guide to copy files from the computer to an external drive or USB flash drive. You can also pull the hard drive and attach it to another computer using a USB adapter.

Edit: Once you pull the data you can do a factory reset as shown in the following link

http://packard-bell-scandic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3068

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 May 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#7 IerynEtra

IerynEtra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Honestly a factory reset is probably the best thing for it, but there are important files on there. Is there no other way of accessing that administrator account? I just need the documents off of it, and doing a factory reset without having those documents first is kind of scary.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

As I previously posted. Boot the UBCD and start Parted Magic. This will let you recover your files to an external drive as per the guide I linked to. 

Do not do a factory reset until you are sure all your files are recovered.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 May 2016 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users