Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 used_and_under_oath24

used_and_under_oath24

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

I have an HP laptop, and every once in a while it will shut itself down. But just today, it decided to shut down on its own 3 times in 10 minutes, then I couldn't even turn on my computer, when it went to load the windows screen, it said some program failed (i didn't get to write it down i didn't have time). I'm doing a virus scan now, but does anyone else have any ideas for what it is or how i can fix it? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:32 PM

Sound like a heat problem. Make sure your intake and exhaust ports are not blocked - so you can't set the laptop on a quilt or something. (Especially if intake ports are on the bottom!) And also, use canned air to blow through the ports to clear them of dust. Make sure your fan is working - you should feel hot air coming out of the exhaust port. If the computer feels hot on top, but no hot air coming out, chances are you have a problem with the fan.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

Your battery (main not BIOS) may be bad. I have had a similar problem in the past. Does it shut down sooner if it is on battery power?

Edited by acklan, 24 July 2006 - 12:19 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:25 AM

If the person is doing a virus scan right now I would think the battery might be ok because if it was not there would be resetting of the CMOS and that would have been posted.

What is really going to help this is to place a sheet of paper with an ink pen next to the computer and when the error comes back write it down or use a digital camera to take a picture of it and send it up to us.

To fix any computer with out an error message is just who makes the best guess and that takes more time to accomplish the task.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:35 AM

Try this link to figger out what the error message was: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users