Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display or POST from Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 motherboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pershore

Pershore

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hello, Everyone,

This is my first post at Bleeping Computer...and it is about a bleeping computer, well, almost.

My Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 beeps when I power up.  There is no display.  At this time I just want it to POST, doubtless there will be more problems later.

It receives power, CPU fan spins, graphics card fan spins, 'phase' LEDs light. (aside - when initially powering up using a switch, the power dies for about 1s before returning, sometimes once, sometimes two or three times; after that it seems continuous.  I don't like this, perhaps it's connected with the no display issue ?).

The beep pattern (as far as I tell) is three equal length beeps over a period of about 1s, repeated every few seconds [small beeper connected to pins on m/b]

Any ideas anyone ?

I don't know what the BIOS version is (as I can't POST) [CPU is a Q9400 which needs F7 BIOS], I've tried two graphics cards (surely they can't both be defective ?), RAM=2GB Kingston PC2-6400, PSU= Antec VP450.  The CPU, board and RAM were known to be good before the board was removed from the case.

Pershore
25.November.2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

This to me is classic.  The video card either doesn't have enough power or it has failed.  The voltages by LED and fans indicate   the PS is okay.  The video card has to "boot" first, telling the CPU where to send the video.  If the monitor is on first and warmed up, power on the PC and watch the screen.  The first screen will be the video BIOS loading, then the CPU boots and the memory count is displayed.  Again, if the video doesn't start, neither will the CPU.

#3 Pershore

Pershore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the answer.

So given the observations, you think the video card is not getting enough power ?  I believe that the spec on the PSU is enough to run the system described ?  A GeForce Ge 6800GT surely wouldn't need even more than was nominally available ? It could be that I can't put a PCI-E card in the slot properly, this is the first board I've tried it in.

Typically, video card problems are reported by "1 long, 2 short [beeps]: Monitor or graphics card error" not what I think I hear

I don't get any output on the monitor, which isn't giving any display because it has gone into some kind of rest mode because it has no signal (I get the no signal message for a few seconds before I power up).

So, how do you think this problem could be solved ?

Pershore

26.November.2015

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:36 PM

Even if the psu is up to spec if it is failing it won't provide enough power. Can you get video off the integrated graphics?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Pershore

Pershore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for answering to this problem, Cap'n. 

I am going to try with an XFX TS450 to see if that changes anything (this has a single 12V rail 34A IIRC, whereas the VP450P has 18A per 12V rail, purportedly) has , after that, it's change CPU to an E7300 which is F4 BIOS compatible - any thing to get it going !),

There is no integrated graphics on this m/b

Pershore

28.November.2015

Edited by Pershore, 28 November 2015 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users