Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Views and responces

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dardone

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

I was wondering what makes some forum questions get so many responces and some get none?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

I was wondering what makes some forum questions get so many responces and some get none?

Touchy subjects

#3 Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,356 posts
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

Whoever has the answer to that question will become an Internet multi-billionaire.

But I know this, it is not a simple answer. Many many factors are involved.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

I think that's a very complicated question to answer as there are lots of variables, but if I were silly enough to try...

It seems to me that threads which get lots of replies tend to be those which require opinion-based discussions (perhaps because these are easier for multiple people to get involved in and each contribution creates the potential for new relevant avenues of discussion to open, like a verbal snowball effect), or troubleshooting (perhaps because lots of back and forth between a replier and the OP occur whicle they check logs and do things). How-to questions seem to get the least replies (perhaps, because unless there are follow-up questions there is nothing to keep posting about, once someone provides an answer).

In regards to views, it seems to me that content which is likely to be helpful to others is favored by search engines; they bring lots of traffic I presume. BC members, or at least the ones I've seen around, also seem to have favorite areas, and certain areas seem to be more popular as favorites than others, so it's not surprising that content in those areas get lots of views, and threads in other sections can be neglected.

Edited by hollowface, 25 November 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#5 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

Impulse and mood, mostly, I would think.

You look at the list of topics, and what ever strikes your fancy, you click on.

A lot of threads get read, but rarely answered.  Some threads draw lots of replies.

The topic may not attract a large number of views for many reasons.

I think that most people in this forum are looking for a quick easy read, a little entertainment, and something that they can relate to.

Maybe that's why it's called "General Chat."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users