Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maxonnxc

maxonnxc

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

I have been wondering about this for a while.

when i look in CMD ipconfig /all i see several IP address  but why i don't see my ip address in CMD, i did my ip search on the web, my ip does not even close to the any of the ip  in CMD..

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

There are "global" and "private" IP Addresses. The IP Addresses you see in "ipconfig /all" are private IP Addresses. And the IP Address you search and saw on the Internet, is your global IP Address.

The difference between a global and a private IP Address, is that private IP Addresses can not access the Internet. Network Address Translation (NAT) will translate the private IP Address into a global IP Address. And with the global IP Address, the Internet can be accessed.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

What do you mean by Your IP Address?  Are you talking about what you get from What is My IP?  That will return your public IP address, this is what web sites see when you connect to them.  If you have a router you might have an IP address of 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, those are private IP addresses and will not route on the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users