Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop Battery or Charger Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shamane55_*

Guest_shamane55_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

Hello,

I have an Asus N55SF running windows 7 for a few years now and recently my battery started dying instantly, so I got a replacement online. I believe straight away there were some issues, for instance it was stuck on certain percentages (for instance 49%) no matter what and took ages to calibrate. However eventually I got it working for a few days. It powered my laptop fine and was working (even when the percentages were stuck), but yesterday it once again got stuck, this time at fully charged 100%. I thought I would let the battery discharge and charge it overnight, so I waited it until my laptop died and set it to charge. However, today even though it was showing as fully charged, the laptop died within seconds after I unplugged it from the charger.

I downloaded BatteryCare and had HWMonitor already installed, but they are showing some weird numbers. BatteryCare shows the wear level as 0.00% and other things that HWMonitor is also showing, which seem to indicate they aren't getting the correct readings.

The HWMonitor log reads this:
Hardware monitor        Battery
    Voltage 0        9.31 Volts [0x245D] (Current Voltage)
    Capacity 0        48400 mWh [0xBD10] (Designed Capacity)
    Capacity 1        707245 mWh [0xACAAD] (Full Charge Capacity)
    Capacity 2        707245 mWh [0xACAAD] (Current Capacity)
    Level 0            n.a. [0x64] (Wear Level)
    Level 1            100 pc [0x63] (Charge Level)

I am wondering if this might be an issue caused by my charger or if it is the battery that is faulty? Should I return it and get a replacement? (Or even worse, is something wrong with my internal hardware on the laptop)?

Obviously this is all quite vague, but I can supply any other information. I have tried deleting drivers and reinstalling them, also tried turning everything off, unplugging everything and holding the power button for 30 seconds but neither worked.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

If you have a voltmeter with a DC scale you can check the output of the power adapter to see if the problem is with it.

The output of the power adapter should be at 19V DC @ 4.74A.  The DC scale will show the voltage, but you would need a ampmeter to see what the amount of current is.

The output for the battery should be 10.8V.  I see that the voltage reading from the monitor is only 9.31V, this could be part of your problem.

Please post the make and model of the battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

have you tried plugging in your charger without your battery in and seeing it the laptop turns on? 

#4 Guest_shamane55_*

Guest_shamane55_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reply DC3. Sadly I don't have a voltmeter, but a few of my friends have laptops so I might try asking if I could use their chargers (if they are compatible) and see if they charge my battery or not.

Thanks kaz20, I have and it powers up fine without a battery and only with the charger. I do believe there can be cases where that happens and the battery isn't getting charged though, because something is wrong with the AC, but not too sure. I don't think it would be the charger, but at the same time it is a new battery and it worked fine for a few days....

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

Please answer my question regarding the battery.  There is a possibility that the battery you purchased to replace the old on may not be the correct battery for this laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Guest_shamane55_*

Guest_shamane55_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

Oh right, sorry, missed that bit.

The battery I purchased is a Li-on 6 Cell,Voltage: 10.8V, Capacity: 5200mAh battery produced by LENOGE (though in the description it says Lithium Battery Voltage: 11.1 volts, not sure why it is different).

It can be found here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NTT1L98?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users