Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 tweaks. Try them or leave Windows alone?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ajones2703

ajones2703

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:58 AM

Hi Guys

In the past I've used the below links to try and speed up my Laptop a bit. It's a 3 yr old Lenovo with Windows 7. Celeron B820 processor and 6 GB Ram. The tweaks did speed things up a bit and I didn't notice any problems in applying the tweaks.

I'm getting a new laptop within the next week or so. It will be either a HP or a Lenovo. The processor will either be an i5-6200U or i7-5500U and 8 GB Ram.

My question is, should I tweak Windows 10 to enhance performance or leave Windows all alone on it's original settings as this is a brand new laptop?

These are the links for the Windows 10 tweaks

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ultimate_windows_tweaker_for_windows_10.html

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

Edited by ajones2703, 25 November 2015 - 03:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

If you feel the need to ask this question, then my answer would be that you should leave Windows well alone.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:13 AM

If you feel the need to ask this question, then my answer would be that you should leave Windows well alone.

This.

Chances are that if you don't feel comfortable with doing something that involves Windows functionnality and internals, you'll most likely do a wrong change/edit and you'll end up having issues after that.

Windows is already performant by default, it's based on your hardware mostly, system tweaks don't affect it by a lot. Also, if there's one thing you could do, is to uninstall the OEM software you don't need that will come bundled with your prebuilt laptop.

Edited by Aura, 25 November 2015 - 08:14 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

I used to overclock and tweak the heck out of my systems.

Now I don't.

I find that my system is much more stable and responsive if I don't tweak.
And, the minor performance increases that I got by tweaking really didn't affect things all that much.

I say, leave well enough alone.

If you want to tweak, try a second installation so you can compare the two.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

There's also the simple, "Why don't you see how you like it as is?," question.

I see no point in making tweaks to anything if you are satisfied with the way things are.  The only way to know that is to deal with "the way things are" for a while to see how you like that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

Thanks loads guys. All these replies make sense to me. I can now see the light! I will not make any changes. Appreciate the feedback. 

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

No problem ajones, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

This.

"He knows just enough to be dangerous" might be a cliche but they're all rooted in truth.

And I say that as someone who describes his own PC experience as such so I'm definitely not singling you out

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Well im coming to this late but couldnt resist putting my ten cents in,while i respect the different opinions here,i personaly love tweaking,i like personalizing my systems for productivity and efficiency,if you look at it closely theirs an awfull lot you can do to a pc,to improve the way it works without sacrificing stability.

A faster better laid out start menu and explorer,a more responsive,pleasant  and productive system.

Tweakhounds not a bad place to start if you fancy it.

https://tweakhound.com/

Just remember to take your time and always take a registry backup,restore point before you make a change.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 25 November 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Wolverine,

I just want to make clear that I'm not anti-tweaking, but I am anti-tweaking with a brand new operating system "straight out of the box" before you get a chance to get familiar with it and how it's working.

I would not encourage anyone, including inveterate tweakers, to tweak Windows 10 at this point in time.  If one has issues, and so many are in one form or another, it becomes virtually impossible to know what caused it.

Once Windows 10 is a far better known quantity then the tweakers can have at it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

I'm still too gun shy to make any tweaks except ones recommended to me by someone who's experience is far greater than mine and who I've found tend to err towards the conservative in the advice they've offered before.  If I ask a simple question about a problem and their proposed solution involved making changes to the registry is someone who's advice I'm not likely to feel comfortable accepting ever, regardless of their level of experience vs. mine.

I have had nightmares about situations where I am a keystroke away from causing my own catastrophic failure, but only after I started learning just how much damage I could have caused.

I can definitely recall wanting to get rid of a program I didn't see listed in the control panel and just  right click/deleting the program's folder inside the System Files folder. In fact I'm sure I did that more than a few times on a computer that I finally had to have Windows reinstalled by someone else because it would have taken more time than he was willing to put into untangling the mess I'd created. In all honesty I'm not 100% sure that I never deleted a hidden file folder on that same PC.

A little knowledge is not only dangerous, it's also the fuel of nightmares

#12 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:00 PM

Wolverine,

I just want to make clear that I'm not anti-tweaking, but I am anti-tweaking with a brand new operating system "straight out of the box" before you get a chance to get familiar with it and how it's working.

I would not encourage anyone, including inveterate tweakers, to tweak Windows 10 at this point in time.  If one has issues, and so many are in one form or another, it becomes virtually impossible to know what caused it.

Once Windows 10 is a far better known quantity then the tweakers can have at it.

Brian,i totally get your point,i have actually tweaked win 10 a lot,a lot more than i thought i would (i did look carefully at suggestions from people who used the tech previews a lot ( (it just wasnt as good out of the box as i thought it would be and it was bloated,in many ways i prefer win 7...ive been through the system over and again and backed up as ive gone along.Dont seem to have had any loss of system integrity or stability as far as i can see..its faster,more responsive and doesnt have loads of stuff i dont like and will never use,...ive become a tinkerer..im lucky at this point to have three computers,i always backup or image so if i hose the system (which i havnt done for years:),ill just put it back together again.

Still,from a baseline tech point of view i would advise people the same,leave it alone for a bit.

God it is  awefull for a final os though,,Archlinux anyone..only kiiddin:)

Think ill tinker some more..no i mustnt,ill do some e - mails.. :tophat:

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,991 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:32 PM

Wolverine,

Tweakers who just love it for the sake of it, a group in which you seem to belong, are sui generis.  You all also tend to have lots of experience and, thus, knowledge about what may or may not wreak havoc.  Even though I'd tell you to hold off I have little fear for folks such as yourself.

I live in the great in between ground where I will tweak if I really dislike something and think that there could be major gain from doing so.  I virtually never tweak to remove what I perceive as "OS bloat" (which is completely different than bloatware - which is at the applications level).

The sense I got from the original post by ajones2703 is that he or she is a relative neophyte to tweaking in general and that what experience he or she has is limited.  In those circumstances my advice is, "No, no, a thousand times no!!," until you have a really good feel for what the new OS is like by having used it extensively before digging in "under the hood."

#14 ajones2703

ajones2703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

Thanks guys. Have found this debate really helpful.

Alex 

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

Tweakers who just love it for the sake of i

As said i tweak for the sake of productivety and a pleasant working environment,im an individual so sue me,i dont want to squable with someone whos obviously a very capable and responsible tech..Ive been off this site for mths nd mths  with super heavy work load,two apartment moves and the birth of a child,its a shame everyones become so heated since win ten (ive been using this site since xp days..it used to be somewhere i could chillout online learn a bit nd maybe help a couple people out,i was lucky to have a mate with a computer bis in the early days and i learned more by experimenting and hosing my systems than anything (people are so frightened of making a mistake they never learn anything and remain unnessaserily in awe of whats essentially a complicated hoover:)..we have four systems at home,i admin and back them all up,no glithches for well over a year..

To be clear,i do take maintanance and so on very seriously indeed,my personal  computer is used for bussiness purposes and is important,i also teach the people round me to backup regulally and use antimalware procedures properly.

Ok im off to checkout the latest Tweakhound guides,only kiddin:)

ps whats sui generis and do i need to put some ointment on it?

Edited by Wolverine 7, 26 November 2015 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users