Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 disaster

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PhantomRick

PhantomRick

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me with this disaster that has been driving me nuts for the past couple of weeks.

I have Windows 10 64bit upgraded from Windows 7 Pro (I think?).  My Win 7 installation disk is an iso file on a 2nd drive on the issue pc.  Not easily accessible, but possible thru moving hardware to tv pc / htpc (this one I'm posting from) coping, etc.

A couple of weeks ago I got a error when trying to login "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded"

Although I have other logins from W7, I haven't logged into any of these since upgrading.  Even so, since this error, none of these other logins are listing now.

After searching intently, I found a way of fixing the registry, mostly based on 
and 

This restored the default profile (Rick).  When I restarted into normal mode, the other logins showed up again.  I then logged into Rick & the same error happened.  I tried a couple of times with the same results.

I decided to try replacing the login.  Since Explorer wouldn't work (see 1st link) with my login, I tried using the same process to show the other accounts then logging into a different account which previously had admin priviledges.  Now the same thing has happen on the 2nd account, but this time it gives the same error in safe mode as well.

So now I can see 1 login when I start up in normal or safe mode that gives the same error message I started with.

I realise (in hind-sight, of course) this is a case of knowing enough to get myself into real trouble.

Um... help... pretty please?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ellbristow

ellbristow

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:39 AM

Can I ask what antivirus software you are using? User profile corruption COULD be caused by AV scanning the profile during login. Maybe try disabling any antivirus temporarily, particularly if you're using Avast, Avira etc... perhaps stick to Windows Defender while you have the issue.

With AV disabled, apply the registry fix etc, and see if it sticks.

#3 PhantomRick

PhantomRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:41 AM

Avast, but I cannot login at all now in either normal nor safe mode

#4 ellbristow

ellbristow

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:57 AM

ah :|

I wonder if a "Refresh" might help... hold shift and click restart to access the support options. There is usually an option there to refresh the machine but keep all files etc.

Might be worth waiting to see if anyone else has another alternative though. I wouldn't want to advise a refresh and find you've lost something important, since this method doesn't preserve apps and settings etc.

Edited by ellbristow, 25 November 2015 - 03:57 AM.

#5 PhantomRick

PhantomRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:03 AM

I'll wait then & try that maybe tomorrow.  I need to crash for an early start anyway.

Thanks ellbristow.  I'll try it no other suggestions turn up.

I'll post back either way with what I do & how it goes.

#6 PhantomRick

PhantomRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:20 AM

So here's where I'm at now.

I tried running "Refresh"as suggested by ellbristow, using the retain documents option.  That returned an error because I have moved all the user data to a separate drive.  So I went to back the data up on W10 PC 2 (HTPC) by moving the HHD over & found that W10 wouldn't recognise the drive.

So now I've found the real problem.  Death of my data drive.

So I installed Recuva (Thank you Piriform https://www.piriform.com/recuva) and was able to Recuva all the files I would have cried over if I lost (A lesson to all you kids out there - backup, backup backup!!), as well a whole bunch of others that made me happy they had survived (& even some I had no idea about but thought what the hell, they must have been on there for a reason) onto my HTPC.  I went shopping, bought a 3TB WD green to replace the dead 1TB generic.

So new 3TB to replace dead 1TB, copy the Recuva'd files to 3TB. Let's try all previous steps.

Tried normal start.  No go (well duh, but if you don't try...). Same "User profile cannot be loaded" stuff as described in OP.

Tried steps to fix, still no go.

Tried Auto Fix Startup - Still no go.

Ditto all Advanced Options to try to fix, including "Refresh", wiping all drives.

Now, it wont boot at all.  I get the BIOS screen, blank for a bit, then reboot.

I even created a recovery USB from the HTPC to boot from that, but it can't see anything.

So this is where I'm at now.  The only option I can see is a complete rebuild - W7 USB iso (Recuva'd), upgrade to W10, reinstall everything.

I'm hoping that someone has a suggestion that is a step or 2 back from that.

I wouldn't mind being able to get this done before Christmas.

#7 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

Once you upgrade to Windows 10 it is now activated and you can just install Windows 10 fresh, no need to install Windows 7 and upgrade again. Plus with a fresh Window 10 nstall all your issues should be gone.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:41 AM

If it's Windows 10 you actually want to have, GameGuru is correct.

Given the complicated history you've offered, with hardware and software failures along the way, your best bet is to start with a brand spanking new Windows 10 installation and simply copying your data files back once you've got it installed and your user(s) established.

Trying to "reverse thread" the needle at this juncture is almost certain to be no easier, and probably far more complicated, than just biting the bullet and starting over with a "from scratch" installation of Windows 10.  You should be able to go this route and be up and running in a matter of hours and have your system back together in a couple of days work, and not full days, either.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users