Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 home crashes on startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SysFix

SysFix

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:00 AM

After 17 Windows updates on shutdown, Win 7 will not reboot. This happened about a week ago (with about 17 updates), and I was able to find a way to use a restore point to get past it. This time I am unable to do that, I get the Startup Repair dialog, which runs for a while but returns 'cannot repair automatically'.

Current Problem details for startup repair are:

Problem Signature 01:      6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02:      6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03:      unknown

Problem Signature 04:      2120153

Problem Signature 05:      ManualRepair

Problem Signature 06:      10

Problem Signature 07:     BadPatch

OS Version:                      6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:                         1033

F8 brings up the safe mode menu, but safe mode will not load, nor do any of the other options seem to help get past the issue.

Recovery options / system restore fails for all 4 of the listed restore points.

I've read that this is not uncommon, but I am unsure how to get past the bad patch that is causing this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Sys

P.S. If it means anything, I have been receiving and postponing a restart request from a recent AVG update because I was afraid this would happen again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:42 AM

If you can't get into Windows, there's not much that we can do here.

System Restore and Startup Repair are the usual steps.

Also, just because it says "BadPatch" doesn't mean that it's a bad patch that's causing this.  It could be (and quite often is) a problem with another program that causes a patch to crash.

You may want to try a repair install of W7 - but that's difficult to do without being able to get into Windows.

Search Google/Bing for suggestions for that.

My suggestion would be to backup your data, then perform a clean install of W7.  Much easier and less time-consuming that trying to repair this - and the attempts to repair it may take weeks, only for you to have to reinstall anyway.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SysFix

SysFix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

Change in status...I found a Win 7 repair disk and after running all night it was successful!!! I have set automatic updates to download updates but let me choose whether to install them. After a few minutes, there are once again 17 "important" updates available to install. How do I determine which one(s) not to install?

Thanks,

Sys

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

Set a System Restore point before each one.

Install them one by one until one fails.

That's the bad one.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users