Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help...windows 7 onto a machine shipped with windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nwpaddler

nwpaddler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

Hello All

I could really use some help.  I have been out of the game for a few years...it doesn't take long lol.  Busy having a couple great kids.  Anyway, I have always nuked and paved all new computers(used to get a new one yearly).  Hate all the crap that ships out of the box.  Anyway, I need to upgrade badly and get a new laptop.  All seem to be shipping with windows 10 now and I really am not interested. 

I will cut to the chase.  Can I install windows 7 on a brand new machine that shipped with 10?  I have no idea if I can get driver support.  That's the big question really for me.  Anyone have recent experience with doing this?  Does it basically come down to if the company offers drivers for the individual model?  That's what I am thinking.  If it's a brand new "model" and they only support windows 10...am I screwed? 

Any and all thoughts appreciated.  FYI, I have been mostly using Dell laptops for almost 20 years...have owned so many I lost count.  I found a Black Friday deal but can't find info on the model...it seems new and proprietary to Best Buy.  Starting to ramble so I will just say thank you in advance for anyone who can add anything to my questions.

Cheers

nwpaddler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:02 AM

If you buy a Laptop  with Windows 10 , it will have a Factory Recovery Partition.

Try it first with Win10 and if you dont like it and want to then go to WIn7.

1/ With Windows 10 create the Recovery Discs.{ Important }.

2/ Install your Valid Copy of Windows 7 on C:\ Partition via - Boot From Cdrom { Bios }.

3/ Do not Alter anything on the Recovery Partition - In case you want to go back to -  install Win 10 to Factory Default with Recovery Disks.

4/ Another Option / Remove Hard Drive { Win 10 }  - Install another Hard Drive and install Win 7. { Drives Are Cheap }.

Others may have a different view as to your options  - So Read their Views and then decide for yourself

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

It helps if we know the exact system manufacturer and model.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

You can wipe the C: partition and install Windows 7 on it.  But you are going to need a legal product key in order to activate the operating system.  You will need to go to the website of the laptop's manufacturer and download all of the drivers needed for Windows 7.

As Havachat suggested, you could simply purchase another hdd or ssd and install Windows 7 on it.  This way you would have the Windows 10 operating system and the system recovery partition if you ever need to reinstall the operating system.  You can find a 500GB hdd for around $40.00, or a 1TB for around $55.00.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 nwpaddler

nwpaddler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone who has responded thus far.  It has helped, in that I have realized what my real question should have been.

When I buy a new system...I Nuke, Pave, build from scratch and then Clone.  Oh and I also create a system partition AND a partition for all documents.  So if/when I have to use my clone backup or anything nasty happens...I only have the system partition to worry about.

I don't have interest in a system partition to backup windows 10.  Even if I was going to use windows 10, I would do a clean install without all the BS preinstalled that comes out of the box.

So I guess I need to know if Dell offers drivers right?  I couldn't find the model on their website even yet. 

If Dell doesn't offer any drivers...do I have any other options? 

Here is the link to the laptop I am hoping to buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-gloss/4435200.p?id=1219751152481

• Model: I5558-2148BLK

Maybe I am going to have to find a model that they still sell but support windows 7 on?

Thanks everyone!!!

Edited by nwpaddler, 25 November 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#6 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:09 PM

Here's some more information on the subject:  

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/300077440/will-windows-10-ship-with-downgrade-options-to-windows-7.htm/pgno/0/1

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

Here is the support site for your computer. It does look like drivers for Windows 7 are available.

#8 nwpaddler

nwpaddler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

You guys are awesome.  Thanks for the help!  Feeling not nearly as smart as I used to be...having a 1 and a 4 year old running around does things to ones brain! 

Really appreciate everyone tolerating my brain fart AND actually being super helpful in helping me out.

John_C...you are the winnner lol.  How I couldn't see through the damn model number to see the "actual" model # is beyond me.  Palm...meet forehead!  Have drivers...can install!

Cheers

Edited by nwpaddler, 25 November 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

Wrong model...

Edited by dc3, 27 November 2015 - 02:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users