Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blinking horizontal line at start up on top left corner help needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 utikusubaru123

utikusubaru123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

hi I recently brought a Acer aspire one d257 -n57dqkk running windows 7 starter. I downloaded the latest Ubuntu desktop image and used a program to install it so I could test it before installing it. so in effect I could boot win7 or Ubuntu I liked what I sore and when I tried to install ubuntu I got a error install failure just after the partition settings of the install wizard. the computer restarted and when I tried to boot win7 it wouldn't start. so I run start up repair and let it do its thing but it came back with failure to fix. when It started it did the following. it loads the Acer logo and bios menu then blank lit up screen with blinking white horizontal line in top left hand corner and will no longer bring up startup manager or anything. has no beeping sounds at all when it gets to this point. I think I might have accidentally wiped the windows partition when installing Ubuntu. any help would be greatly appreciated. PS I have created. a bootable winxp USB flash drive using Rufus and set bios to boot from usb. but it has 3 options USB FDD,USB CDROM and USB HDD tryed all 3 USB options and it won't go past blinking line it worked perfect before Ubuntu install and the hard drive is brand new

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

It sounds like what you were trying to do is to dual boot Windows and Linux?  

If that is true, Linux is very anal in terms of how you do this.  

You have to install OSs in a specific order.  First, do Windows - oldest OS to newest OS, then you have to do Linux last.  

Unfortunately, you can't just create a partition on your hard drive and install Linux to that.  

Assuming no issues with the hard drive itself, I'd pull the data from it by attaching it with a SATA and data cables to another PC, then put your data on a removable storage device of appropriate size (USB hard drive, flash drive, etc.).  

On this hard drive, erase all hard drive partitions and start over.  

This is why I refuse to use Linux as an OS - sure it's nice and secure but that's only because there isn't enough market share for criminals to make it worth their while to grab the source code and devise malware or viruses from there.  

It's a huge hassle to install, however, if you plan on using it.   

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

Does this laptop still have the recovery partition ?  If so the simplest thing would be to 'recover' it to the ex-factory condition using this. See the following link from MS as to how to do it, you want to look at the part under 'All answers(3)'

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/reinstall-windows-7-starter-acer-aspire-one-d257/08ef281a-25e8-4156-b0a1-9b7b107f5470

Then I would suggest you go and start a topic in the 'Linux' section on BC asking how to set up a dual boot. Contrary to what Dudeage said, 'Linux isn't anal about installation' nor is it 'a huge hassle to install'. It is in fact quite straight forward but there are one or two traps for the unwary in the terminology used. It is easier to install into a separate hard dive but it can be installed perfectly well into a separate partition.

I have a dual booting desktop and I admit I have the advantage of being able to allocate one hard drive to Linux but I installed Mint after I had had Win 7 running for a number of years. Yes, I managed to wipe all the data off a 500GB drive in the process but all the important data was backed up and this error was due to going at it too fast.

I am not a Linux 'fanboy' - I use it when I want to - but it is not normally that difficult to install. There is a learning curve if you have only been used to Windows in one form or other but it is not that steep.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users