Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The November Update Is Back

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

"The Windows 10 media creation tool, which allows Windows users to download installation files for clean installations and upgrades, will once again allow anyone to download build 10586, a full installation package that incorporates the November Update and can be used for clean installs or upgrades."

Microsoft said

"Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update. Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible - it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available today.".

ZDNet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

Good post!

Just from my own curiosity, I think I will wait and see how long it takes before I get it

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

Quick, to download the Windows 10 Update 1511 x86 .iso I don't have!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,361 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:31 PM

, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible -

And how exactly are they going to restore the settings without knowing what they are or who was affected? Seems like MS is keeping track of way too much on our computers,

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:20 AM

These are the four settings that were affected.
privacy-glitch-nov-update.png
These settings are set during the initial Windows 10 installation and sync'd with your Microsoft account (which means that when you go on another computer with Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, you have the option to use these settings if you login with your Microsoft account during the setup). My guess is that Microsoft will launch an update that reapplies these settings as they were after you changed them during the install. Since these are sync'd with your Microsoft account, I guess that any changes made to them is saved (so you can reapply them on other computers).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible -

And how exactly are they going to restore the settings without knowing what they are or who was affected? Seems like MS is keeping track of way too much on our computers,

Good question ! It certainly doesn't  gell with the 'They hold no personalised data' mantra.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

Read my post just above yours.

The same concept exists for Google Chrome, or any other services/programs you use that have settings (called "Preferences") associated with your account.

Edit: Trying to download the update (KB3120677) that is supposed to restore the settings to take a look at it, but it seems that I still cannot download Windows Updates at work, even from the Windows Update Catalog website, sigh.

Edited by Aura, 25 November 2015 - 08:03 AM.

unite_blue.png

#8 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

Read my post just above yours.

The same concept exists for Google Chrome, or any other services/programs you use that have settings (called "Preferences") associated with your account.

Edit: Trying to download the update (KB3120677) that is supposed to restore the settings to take a look at it, but it seems that I still cannot download Windows Updates at work, even from the Windows Update Catalog website, sigh.

Read mIne and others remarks elsewhere, to the effect that this is a Windows 10 Discussion thread.

Just because the guy up the road is an stalker, does not mitigate the actions of the guy down the street who is a burglar.

Please, stay on topic - WINDOWS 10 DISCUSSION FORUM !!!

Edited by jargos, 25 November 2015 - 07:27 PM.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Both of you knock it off!!! You won't like the consequences if I have to kick you both off the playground!!! That's not an idle threat.

I'm done with the bickering and snide comments here and in other topics.

This topic is closed as well. I'll keep doing it, till everyone learns how to communicate, with the ability to agree to disagree. Without being a jerk about it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users