Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access after Malware removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blahblason

Blahblason

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

A few days ago, after a poor string of decisions, I contracted the esurf.biz broswer hijacker virus, along with possible others. I then proceeded to start cleaning my computer, first with ESET NOD32, then AdwCleaner, then Junkware Removal Tool, then Malwarebytes, and finally HitmanPro, along with deleting the malicious browser shortcuts. This was all done according to the MalwareTips removal guide for this virus.

After completing this and restarting my computer, I discovered that my internet connection was not working. The network drivers and the network and sharing center both detect a connection, but no internet browsers nor any other programs that use internet are working. Although for some reason I am still getting steam popups about friends' game activity. At this point I have scanned the computer multiple times more with different softwares and nothing more has come up. Proxy servers are not enabled in any of the browsers, or in the LAN settings. I have also reset winsock. I have run several Farbar Service scans (most recent included below), but all that shows up is "other errors" for Yahoo.com. Previously, it turned up an error for windows update, but I resolved it.

I have not been able to find any other instances of this specific problem on a windows 10 machine. I would really appreciate any insight anyone might have! Thanks!

Attached File  FSS for bp.txt   2.01KB   2 downloads

Edited by Blahblason, 24 November 2015 - 05:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

I don't have any specific insight, but have you considered rolling back to a restore point prior to the entire unleashing of this malware?

That should bring your registry and other system settings back to a state where everything was working.

Go into the System settings:

Attached File  System_Settings.jpg   128.8KB   0 downloads

Click the System Protection link, then the System Properties dialog pops up:

Attached File  System_Protection_Dialog.jpg   60.62KB   0 downloads

Click the System Restore button and you should be presented with one or more restore points.  Choose one that predates your infection and restore using it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Blahblason

Blahblason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Brian,

I have considered restoring, but I wasn't really sure how to do it correctly. Would there be any reason not to do it? Nothing has really been done on the computer since the onset of the problem, so I'm not concerned about losing anything from that period. I'm assuming that restoring to that state won't cause me to lose anything from before that point, right?

Thanks

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

Using system restore has absolutely no impact on user data files, it only restores the Windows OS itself to the state it was in at the point in time of the restore point.

Under your circumstances I can't see any reason not to do this.  The worst it can do is not work (and I have had system restore fail on occasion) and then you're left just precisely as you are now.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 Blahblason

Blahblason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

Brian,

After doing a system restore, everything seems to be working perfectly! Thank you so much for your help!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

You're quite welcome.    System Restore Points have saved many from grief and insanity over the years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users