Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo blocking email access to those who block adverts:GrahamCluley

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

Today, according to BBC News and other online news reports, the company is preventing some of its web email users from accessing their messages if they have an ad blocker installed.

Article

The first time I get one of these alerts it's goodbye Yahoo. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

There are other issues with Yahoo e-mail as well (unless they've changed their policies since I last looked into this).   They do not allow the executor of an individual's estate to access that person's e-mail account and to close it.  While this may seem silly to be concerned about to some it often turns out to be a serious issue, particularly for those of us who've gone primarily paperless for all sorts of billing and payments.  It's essential that an executor of an estate have access to all of the "papers and effects" of the deceased.  This is one of the reasons I stopped using my Yahoo account a number of years ago.  I really should just close it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

There are other issues with Yahoo e-mail as well (unless they've changed their policies since I last looked into this).   They do not allow the executor of an individual's estate to access that person's e-mail account and to close it.  While this may seem silly to be concerned about to some it often turns out to be a serious issue, particularly for those of us who've gone primarily paperless for all sorts of billing and payments.  It's essential that an executor of an estate have access to all of the "papers and effects" of the deceased.  This is one of the reasons I stopped using my Yahoo account a number of years ago.  I really should just close it.

Thanks for this info britechguy. Do you know if Gmail has the same policy?

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for this info britechguy. Do you know if Gmail has the same policy?

When I last checked into this the answer was no.  Looking just now, that still appears to be the case.  See the page, 

Submit a request regarding a deceased user's accountwhich also allows you to submit "plans for what should happen for my own account."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:50 AM

Thanks a lot for this. Appreciate it.

#6 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

Today, according to BBC News and other online news reports, the company is preventing some of its web email users from accessing their messages if they have an ad blocker installed.

Article

The first time I get one of these alerts it's goodbye Yahoo. 

I dropped my Yahoo Email over a year ago because I got very annoyed with their methods.   They were always updating and there would be something blocking access to my message unless I clicked their linking agreeing to the new whatever and after a few times of finding that I didn't like the "whatever" my stubborn streak kicked in - hard enough to get hold of someone to lodge a complaint but I finally managed to get thru to them that I very much did not appreciate being barred from accessing MY MESSAGES unless I gave in to their coercive techniques.   I also find myself blocked a few times from sending out email when they said I had sent out too much and so I needed to "cool it" basically a while. 

I don't remember the LAST STRAW details but i remember I finally just got fed up.   It helped that I found an email to switch to, I think it was AOL that would transfer my stored mail from Yahoo to my new account - doing it manually would have been impossible as I am a saver of old messages for reference or for issues that might come up that I had something more than my recall.   NOW I can't find any other email providers who do that.  Does anyone know of a provider who still does that.   AOL no longer does so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users