Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nadella's position on Win10 and security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

Article here.

What got to me most was the following, which is not a quote of Nadella, but a conclusion:

"Because Microsoft collects data continuously on how enterprises are using their software, Nadella thinks the company is in a unique position to see potential security vulnerabilities and then provide the tools necessary to protect the enterprise data of its customers."

Always the bid for control is done in the name of safety.  I'm sure Nadella believes in what he's saying.  I'm also sure that Enterprise will find such a claimed position, a threat to their well-being;  far bigger, than any outside threat.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:52 PM

You're sure about a lot of things.

Seldom in doubt, often wrong.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

I agree with both Nadella's statement and your version of it, brainout.. Telemetry. It's not just about hardware, anymore. Security is just as big an issue.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:03 PM

I agree with both Nadella's statement and your version of it, brainout.. Telemetry. It's not just about hardware, anymore. Security is just as big an issue.

I really don't understand why anyone would think of Microsoft as a security threat, including businesses.  Tons of us use Microsoft's antivirus and firewall, just for starters.  Telemetry has been going on at least since Win7, and it now appears that Enterprise will be able to disable it entirely if they so choose.  Virtually all of them use antivirus products which routinely "phone home" and that they trust not to compromise their data and their privacy.  Companies like Microsoft and the various antivirus and antimalware makers don't want to know "everything" because of the liability that would put on them if "everything" were to be compromised.  They're nervous about anything that might transfer liability to themselves for information/data/systems that are not their own.

Lots of businesses will be perfectly OK with telemetry related to hardware and software - the ecosystem - that doesn't include actual business data if that allows the Windows OS to be made more secure/less vulnerable to attack.

I've worked in environments where all machines are imaged precisely as the enterprise want them to be.  I see no reason to believe this won't continue to be the case and those in charge will decide whether or not their images will allow telemetry at all and, if so, at what level.

I don't see it as likely at all that Microsoft will be viewed as a security threat.  There are many, many, many more likely threats that actually deserve attention.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:23 AM

I've worked in environments where all machines are imaged precisely as the enterprise want them to be. I see no reason to believe this won't continue to be the case and those in charge will decide whether or not their images will allow telemetry at all and, if so, at what level.

This. Any company with a decent IT department will use custom images they created and modified themself for the company's needs, and features, options, etc. they do not need or do not judge "useful" will either by disabled or removed. Once again, a reason why entreprises/companies choose to disable telemetry in Windows and Microsoft programs sometimes (and not only Microsoft programs, other programs as well) is because it might be easier to do that rather than adjusting the security on the whole network to allow these connections to go through. This is the case here. Once again, it might be hard to see for those without actual experience in the field, since managing a corporate business network isn't the same as managing a home network.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users