Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused about possible infection and no help from Trend Micro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bob655

bob655

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 on my Dell PC.  Shortly after, Trend Micro starting using a lot of CPU/Memory/Disk.  I ran several anti-virus programs (Malware Bytes, etc.) and nothing showed up.  I contacted Trend Micro and they told me to upgrade to the 2016 version of Trend Micro, which I did.  Still having same problem.  They told me to run Trend Micro House call.  Nothing.  I ran Trend Micro Anti-Threat Toolkit and at 92% of scan completed it said variously there were 1 or 2 problems, and the Anti-Threat Toolkit program shut down (I ran it a few times.)  It seems to have been reviewing its own file (attk_far_gui_x64.exe) when it stopped running, on three separate occasions.

Also ran TM's Scan Clean Online program and nothing showed up.

I am lost.  Trend Micro has been horrible about responding (and their responses rudely tell me I must respond within 24 or 48 hours!  Even on weekends [when they're not open!])

Please advise.  Thank you for any assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hi there,

As a test, can you uninstall Trend Micro using instructions here, turn on Windows Defender and see if the high memory consumption is still there?

I do not know much about Trend Micro, but only that they are some of the bigger resource hogging AVs out there.

#3 bob655

bob655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for response.  I can see on Task Manager that it is the high consumer.  Right now at 15% of CPU.  It fluctuates and isn't always that high but hard to work.  Again thank you.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

Just a closing note... if you are looking to switch to a lighter AV, there is Avast for free, Emsisoft Anti-Malware and ESET NOD32 for paid. All three offer good protection and are a lot lighter than Trend Micro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users