Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

change icons for unknown file types?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

I have made in GIMP two .ico files for two file types that do not have any program or icon registered to them. they are .dls & .sf2, both of which are soundfont files. I have many programs that use these files. like SONY Acid using .dls. ModPlug Tracker also uses .dls. I have a midi converter that uses .sf2 and so does FL Studio. and Awave Studio uses all soundfont files.

I tried using this program as I was told to directly on the homepage of Google: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12383/change-a-file-types-icon-in-windows-7/ but neither .dls nor .sf2 files are listed anywhere in that program. Many other unknown file extensions are listed in there but not .dls or .sf2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

I found out how to do it. using the same File Type Manager as in the link, I go to Edit>New File Extension and type in .dls and .sf2 and change the icon from there. I thought I'd share my findings in case someone else is looking for an answer on a later date. Thanks anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users