Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why has this certificate from akamai.net appeared on my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jonfirefox

Jonfirefox

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:54 PM

Hi

Why has this certificate from akamai.net appeared on my computer, never had anything like this happen before?

I was not viewing any websites at the time, when I closed down macrium reflect (backup software) it was behind the software window.

View the cert here:
https://flic.kr/p/BkSDUe

Is this a possible infection?

thanks

Jonathan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:29 AM

Jonathon:

I think that this is your post over at the Malwarebytes Forum.  Mr. David Lipman responded to you over on that Forum.

I don't believe that this represents any threat.  You can, if you want, run anti-virus and anti-malware scans to reassure yourself.

It is probable some web site/application inserted the certificate.  For more information about akamai net, see this link.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

Akamai Technologies is a U.S. Internet Content Delivery Network (CDN) responsible for serving approximately 15-20 percent of all web traffic. Akamai operates a network of servers around the world and rents space to customers who want their web sites to work faster by distributing content from locations close to the user. A CDN receives data and places it on various legitimate servers all over the world. This allows the content (images, music, movies, etc) to load faster because it is delivered to the end user from the nearest server holding the content. Akamai has several CDN networks and akamai.net; akamaiedge.net; akamaihd.net are a few of them.

Facebook, YouTube and Twitter all use akamaihd.net as a CDN to speed up their services. For example, if you upload photos on Facebook they are actually uploaded to akamaihd.net. When someone requests to view a Facebook photo the request is sent to the nearest akamaihd server which returns the photo more quickly than a server at a distant location. This is the reason why you will see an address in the status bar (or a javascript file) which indicates "transferring data from fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net" or "fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net" when using Facebook or something similar, (i.e. "cdncache1-a.akamaihd.net", "rvzr-a.akamaihd.net", etc) when visiting other websites using Akamai. These addresses are subdomains which show Akamai where visitors go and the percentage of visitors...they are normal but some users have reported this process actually slows their access to social media sites.Note: When accessing web sites like Facebook, Yahoo, Bing, Gmail and Twitter, a message may pop-up with an alert advising that a security issue was detected on "xxx.a.akamaihd.net" and ask that you confirm the certificate. If you attempt to connect to a web site over HTTPS, it will often reveal Akamai. See Akamai and SSL.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:44 AM

quietman7:

Thank you for the further explanation, and education.  I wasn't aware that akamai.net was so omnipresent in the web.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:27 AM