Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Thought Firefox Would be Different

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bastille Day

Bastille Day

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

So I switched to Firefox only to have them litter the main search page with icons of sites they thought I would like to visit.

Once again, un-wanted garbage being shoved in your face.

Firefox = total fail

new boss same as the old boss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

All you have to do is click the gear at the top right hand corner of that page and set it to blank and it totally disables that feature. Firefox is the most customizable browser on the planet. Most everything can be disabled or customized to your liking if you take the time.

#3 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:08 AM

Wow, I really hope you weren't serious about threatening to nuke FF, especially as sAyer jumped in to tell you it's a single click to change it.

If you did then Godspeed

#4 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Problem solved.

Google.ca

Plain white page with no distracting garbage.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:17 PM

Far be it from me to disillusion you, but 'google.ca' is a web-site - part of Google's search engine - not a browser. Chrome is Google's browser just like Safari is apple's.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

You can't dis-illusion me anymore than societies perversion to shove unwanted crap in my face such as the result of an alligator eating a porcupine or a former Olympian who thinks he is a women or the need of my broker to follow every keystroke I make. To be honest life was much better without this new piece of garbage.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

The problem is that you are not thinking at all.  A more confused stream of comments about things related to the web, but not really to each other, would be hard to imagine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:00 AM

The problem is that you are not thinking at all.  A more confused stream of comments about things related to the web, but not really to each other, would be hard to imagine.

CONFLICTED comes to mind.   A nice way of saying it.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:10 AM

I truly try, as a general rule, to be as diplomatic as possible.  Sometimes, though, nothing but a reality check seems appropriate.  This was one of those times.

I reach my "suffer fools gladly" limit very quickly when a stream of genuine ignorance is presented as though it has any connection to reality.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:14 AM

I truly try, as a general rule, to be as diplomatic as possible.  Sometimes, though, nothing but a reality check seems appropriate.  This was one of those times.

I reach my "suffer fools gladly" limit very quickly when a stream of genuine ignorance is presented as though it has any connection to reality.

I think we have all been there - I understand totally. :scratchhead:

#11 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

It's a sad world when your spoon fed, on a constant basis, garbage you really did not ask for and some idot geek sitting on a rubber ball thinks you would like.

Firefox = still a fail

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

What it says when someone is too lazy to bother to turn off a setting, which would make the very thing they're whining incessantly about as though it were actually being forced on them, says about that someone. . . Well, my point stands.

Poor, poor, pitiful you!

#13 Horst666

Horst666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Bastille, you are right.

Firefox -today- is nothing more that a rape of the old mozilla project. They spy on you, they try to sell you crap, they even tell you that the sites you are visiting are not god for you or that ssl is only working with a certificate made by the NSA. Assuming you are using Windows it does not matter which browser you use, they are all the same: slow, way too curios, unsafe, instable and ressource munching. So why not just install Vmware Player and download a virtual machine like the Browser Aplliance in which you use an unraped Mozilla browser. It will need a few minutes to start up but then you have a secure environment to surf with the speed of a Linux browser. With that you are almost unhackable and even if you dont trust your browser after watching some sports videos, you just delete the virtual machine.

Edited by Horst666, 07 December 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

A very fun and informative thread down at the old Interweb. Thanks guys.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

Bastille, you are right.

Firefox -today- is nothing more that a rape of the old mozilla project. They spy on you, they try to sell you crap, they even tell you that the sites you are visiting are not god for you or that ssl is only working with a certificate made by the NSA. Assuming you are using Windows it does not matter which browser you use, they are all the same: slow, way too curios, unsafe, instable and ressource munching. So why not just install Vmware Player and download a virtual machine like the Browser Aplliance in which you use an unraped Mozilla browser. It will need a few minutes to start up but then you have a secure environment to surf with the speed of a Linux browser. With that you are almost unhackable and even if you dont trust your browser after watching some sports videos, you just delete the virtual machine.

Bastille Day brings to mind the lopping off of heads, an unpleasant topic/vision.  It does have an "aggressive" feel to it.  But it is part of history.

Edited by JayJax, 07 December 2015 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users