Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5 years later: how to update M$ Security Bulletins

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

Hello!

Item: Laptop Windows 7, last turned on 2010.

Question: is there a "best" method to update 5 years of security bulletins?

I would expect that to download and install might take time; that's not my concern.

It's there an "order" with which the process is completed?

Thanks!

softeyes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

Hi softeyes :)

There's no real order to install your Windows Update. Personally, what I do is that I install all my Important Updates first. Once there's no more left, I install the Recommended ones (assuming I need them). Then once done, I click on Check for updates and install the remaining ones that way until no more are being returned (or no more that I need).

If that laptop was last turned in 2010 and you want to update it now, it might not work (broken Windows Update service probably). If it doesn't work, let us know :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Thank you for the quick response Aura and the directive!

:lmao:  Won't work!!! Laugh with me: this is a "new" Asus laptop I purchased Jan. 2010...<to save for the "best time!">

It has only been turned on 2x...if the bloody treasure won't work..thank heavens for BC!

If I can't get it up and running, I'll be back! Cheers!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

No problem softeyes, you're welcome :) Let us know how it goes!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

Once you get it booting and getting into Windows Updates, I recommend doing 5 giants at a time, doing 10-15 small ones at a time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:08 PM

Post #1, yes there will be an order for some of the updates. Your best method would be to (making sure to have updates on "check automatically but ask me whether I want to download" and having "give me recommeneded updates the same way i receive important ones" UNTICKED ) go into windows update, tick all the security updates (All those clased as "important" and named "Security Update for...") and all the relevant bug fixes (unfortunately you'll have to look at the more information link for every "important" update to work out which you need, so this will be perhaps a hundred and fifty pages or more), then install those ticked ones at once. It is slow but doing them like this will let windows recognise the updates being installed and it will be able to deal with any orders within them should particular orders be needed. There will be mabe a thousand recommended ones on offer to you, ideally you would check each for relevance and pick each to install or not, but as they are "recommended" ones you should be alright without them if you can't spare the time to go throgh them all and check which you want. One thing you don't want to do is install ALL the updates offered to you, as it would bring along things like KB3035583 and KB3044374 which you will probably not want. After doing this and restarting (with this many updates being done there might be multiple restarts involved) then go back to windows update and check again, from the list that now appears do any you hadn't seen before and think you need, use the same mental rules of "do all the security ones, do the relevant bug fixes, maybe do some of the monthly rollout ones if they are helpful", and install the ones you need from this list. repeat until yu get to a point where you can check for updates and the only ones being offered to you are those you know you don't need. This repetiton of the process is important as some things might not even be offered until certain other ones have been installed.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

@rp88 ~ I appreciate your response! Good news, I always have my security settings to notify me <no automatic for me!>

Regarding this:

<snip>

One thing you don't want to do is install ALL the updates offered to you, as it would bring along things like KB3035583 and KB3044374 which you will probably not want.

Would there be a do not download and install "list" of updates? <regardless of how many years?>

I don't believe that I've ever seen any warnings within an expanded "important" update? <yikes...how would I know if one is good or bad?>

This thought  makes it a bit tricky; unless some awesome soul has created the good/bad and ugly list!

What an awesome feature Microsoft would have, where with, posted after every monthly patch, a summary of what worked or what to ignore and hide! Any briliant BC volunteer up to this project!!!

Thanks for your input...

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

You would have to go through rp's thread for that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/

unite_blue.png

#9 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

@Aura...for that reference...many thanks... :wink:

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

No problem softeyes, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

Concerning defeating Windows 10 install-attempts and telemetry [PC, call home to MS],

I gathered this from 2-3 sources, here and from sevenforums:

@echo below are for both W8 & W7
wusa /install /kb:3083324 /norestart /quiet
wusa /install /kb:3050265 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3083710 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3065987 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3050267 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3014460 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:3012973 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:2999226 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart /quiet
wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /norestart /quiet
pause
exit

As far as I know, if any particular KB does not exist within your computer and/or was not meant for your computer's OS, the batchfile will simply "play that KB number out" and no change to your PC will be made concerning that particular KB number.

Edited by RolandJS, 24 November 2015 - 07:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users