Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless connections fighting each other

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:23 AM

I have one wireless connection in my building, but it often does not work

so I arranged with a neighbor to use their account when my connection was weak

but now even when my account is working well, my wireless manager (win 7) is automatically loading the neighbor account

I checked Control Panel, -->network and internet, --> Network and sharing -->and the neighbor's wireless account was listed as the main adapter

so whenever I try to start my native connection, the message comes on : cannot connect....

whenever I have tried to reconnect to my native account it asks for the password (security key) over and over but still does not connect

I tried going into "change adapter settings" and disabled the neighbor account, but then all my connections disappeared

then I went into "Manage wireless networks"  and removed the neighbor account. I know this does not really remove a connection, because it will still show up in connection settings in the lower right corner of the screen taskbar and I can reconnect if I just put in the security key again (fingers crossed)

Now my native account seems to be working again.

I wouid like to know what the problem was and why I cannot just use the neighbor account as secondary backup.  If my native account goes down again and I try to connect to the neighbor account I am afraid the same problem will happen.

I want to be able to connect to strongest connection at any one time.

Any suggestions welcome.

Sony Vaio PCF1390X

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

wireless connection

Router info -- don't know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

You could try changing the channel in your router setup. Is your router secure? Neighbors could be chewing up your bandwidth if its not, hence the poor performance at times.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:04 AM

You could try changing the channel in your router setup. Is your router secure? Neighbors could be chewing up your bandwidth if its not, hence the poor performance at times.

Thanks for your response.

Perhaps I did not phrase my issue clearly enough. I find that my wifi connection manager in win 7 is acting as if my secondary connection is my default connection.  It will automatically connect to that even if my primary connection is strong.

Then when I try to change connections to my primary connection, I get a "Cannot connect to ..." message.

I have to continually delete the secondary connection from "manage adapter settings"

Poor performance can be an issue when there are many people on the network, but this  would make a connection weak I think.  I don't know why windows is arbitrarily making some connections the default connection even when there are better connections available.

What this seems to be is a problem with the mechanics of how connections are made in Win 7.  I dual boot with Linux and this is not a problem.

Edited by Achaemenid, 25 November 2015 - 06:05 AM.

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:51 AM

Really I couldnt tell you how. All my window machines are wired with a few wireless android/Linux devices. See if this short article is any help:

http://thetechjournal.com/how-to/tutorial-how-to-change-the-priority-of-wireless-network-in-windows-7.xhtml

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:58 PM

Really I couldnt tell you how. All my window machines are wired with a few wireless android/Linux devices. See if this short article is any help:

http://thetechjournal.com/how-to/tutorial-how-to-change-the-priority-of-wireless-network-in-windows-7.xhtml

This is an excellent link. Thanks very much. 

#6 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

Good, hope it helps. your welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users