Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CPU usage idling at 99-100%

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SoundArc

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:35 AM

So my power went out the other day for about 10 minutes, with my computer on. I turn it back on and its running really slow, like the start menu takes about a minute to open up and when i try to get on the internet it crashes, then takes about 3 or so minutes to open the page.

I have a compaq desktop computer running windows xp. If you need more info on my computer let me know. 

I opened task manager, and go to processes, and find there is a processes called SYSTEM that is making my computer run at 99-100% cpu usage. i looked up what SYSTEM is and its a normal processes, its what they call a "kernal". So im thinking there is a bad driver or something on my computer. I downloaded a program called Glary Utilities, and used it to analyze my drives, and found that the D: drive is using an abnormal amount of resources. So im thinking its something to do with the D: drive, whatever that is, I thought the only drives I had were C and the CD drive.

Im no computer expert, so before i did anything stupid i figured i would ask someone who actually knew what they were talking about. 

I did already restore my computer to factory settings, because i didnt have anything important on it, but it didnt do a thing. I ran a bunch of virus scans and found some viruses but i really dont think that had anything to do with it because the problem happened right after a power outage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:36 AM

When the power went out it could have fried part of your ram. open the run box and type    mdsched.exe     Run the test. If no errors are found then check your hard drive with CrystalDiskInfo http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cdiskinfo.html If no problems are found there then open an elevated Command Prompt and type    sfc /scannow    and let that test run.

#3 hamluis

• 54,997 posts
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users