Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KB3035583 pops up .. AGAIN !!!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:35 PM

Does anyone know why this stupid annoying W10 nagware thing keeps popping up in my updates ?

I've hidden it 3 TIMES over the last couple of months, and yet here it is again this morning, as a recommended update.

Who made it 'unhidden' ?

I certainly didn't, and no one else uses my W7 lappie.

Is MSFT resolved to do what IT wants on my computer ?

What's going on ???

Edited by jargos, 23 November 2015 - 11:35 PM.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:45 PM

Microsoft now keep re-releasing re-naming and pushing their W10 OS update patch, they can sell and target you then... (like a huge Facebook network but more powerful)

If you don't like it you can always come over to Linux, there are plenty of us over here now and the numbers are growing :)

Edited by TsVk!, 23 November 2015 - 11:48 PM.

#3 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:49 PM

Microsoft now keep re-releasing re-naming and pushing their W10 OS, they can sell and target you then (like a huge Facebook network but more powerful)

If you don't like it you can always come over to Linux, there are plenty of us over here now and the numbers are growing :)

Err, thanks - doesn't really answer my question, though I agree with all you said and then some.

I'm the biggest Linux fan 'round here, lately ..

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591975/my-linux-experience/

Link edited to 1st page

Edited by jargos, 23 November 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:55 PM

Rhetorical question here then? :whistle:

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

To answer your question simply:

Microsoft owns your Windows operatinmg system lock stock and barrel. You just get to use it. If they want to they can do anything they want. It's in the T&C.

Yes they want you to go to Win 10 and are forcing it on everyone, they will not back off, they want to mine your habits and data.

That is why.

#6 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:00 AM

No, I really want to know WHY, against my three time instructions for it to be hidden, it keeps popping up contrary to my instructions.

Would it be due to some programming or systems problem, or just MSFT deciding for me ?

And what I can do about it, if anything, to keep it hidden.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:04 AM

Because they want you to move to 10... lol. It's not your operating system, it's Microsofts. They don't really care what you want in this instance.

I dunno if you can keep it hidden on a home machine, unless you move all updates to manual approval.

#8 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:09 AM

Our last two crossed.

OK, but I thought I owned W7 which is a PRODUCT (as opposed to W10 which I understand, is a service).

Yes, that's what I'm going to have to do. Check each and every update manually, as I said earlier.

Why is it that nothing about what MSFT is doing DOES NOT reek of such Orwellian overtones and behaviour ?

Edited by jargos, 24 November 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

I used to laugh with my analyst about the outrageous terms and conditions on Win 7, now it seems that they are using part of them. Oh well.

There is so much in this world that is moving toward the Orwellian dystopia, it's a great analogy. (and brilliant foresight also, wow)

#10 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:39 AM

With Microsoft you never actually own your Operating System software, you lease it from them under license.

As long as it is within the terms of their EULA (end user license agreement), which you "signed" when you installed Windows on your machine, they can pretty much do whatever they want to the copy of Windows that you have installed, and that will include making changes to it, which may well include your update choices.

The fact that they're unhiding updates that you have already hidden is annoying, but as far as I know there's no way to stop it, and you'll just have to re-hide it and hope they get the message.

It may not be ethical, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it's probably within the terms of the EULA, and therefore legal.

#11 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:40 AM

See my post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593186/need-to-destroy-windows-10-auto-download-via-wu/?p=3841739

There I present a supported method of blocking Windows 10 upgrade offers, opportunistic download and automatic installation, all without worrying about avoiding updates.

x64

#12 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:23 AM

Hey, beloved jargos!

When a KB changes its content (here, a link to a different download for Win10), the KB is reissued with the same name, the description in the KB article is updated/corrected, so your past hiding is ignored.  The idea is, the KB really changed and maybe now you'll want to install it.

I hate the thing as much as you do, but the above is the actual MSFT reason for doing it, not a nefarious plot.  Lots of complaints made by MSFT loyalists that they should renumber the KB.. but they won't.

Moi, I just surf in Linux* and keep my Windows offline.  Some versions of Linux and some programs in Linux allow you to download or view Windows fonts, so.. why not.

*The machine I'm typing on is Win7 though, and has nothing which can't be zapped.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#13 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:43 AM

Microsoft do no really bother about home users, they have below 10% of they profit from home users.

In the past there are evidence Microsoft pushing updates opening certain ports and firewall rules with updates for windows XP.

The reason for that was to push all of the clients paying for Vista and later on Windows 7.

If you remember there was no more drivers for XP also the OS became really vulnerable. 

Fortunately they cannot force so fast Windows 7, as most companies still running on this platform is easy to administer and pretty stable.

If you check in the computer stores there are only Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Recently I have friend with brand new beast PC, once we installed Windows 7, we manage to get drivers as inf.*

All of the modules was installed correctly and still there was no support for CPU and HDMI, the USB 0.3 was acting weird disconnecting devices from time to time, and so on.

In the name of the science we decided to try Windows 10 on the same computer. The benchmark finished with double points.

So if the vendors support Microsoft and do not release drivers, well I guess the security of Windows 7 will go down as his ancestors. So guess what  ?

You will looking for option to upgrade to Windows 10. 

This is the way this company working the past 10-15 years so do not expect any changes soon :) 

Anyway this might help you :
To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps Click Computer Configuration.

Click Policies.

Click Administrative Templates.

Click Windows Components.

Click Windows Update. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.

Click Enable. Policy path: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update Policy Setting: Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update

Cheers,
Andy 

#14 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

Brainout, I checked the 'learn more' MS link about the update, and it did not to me, look one jot different from what it was previously. It was just to put that accursed update nag icon back into my taskbar, like before.

Thanks to others who have posted here. A couple of points;

To those who said Windows is a service, not a product, yes, that's clear for W10 however, However, I thought the narrative 'round here was that for prior versions, my W7 for instance, it WAS a product. In any case, I can assume MSFT has a convoluted way to get around that, in those earlier EULA's as well.

But it does irk me. If it IS a service, and if I have to be beholden to their whims, why then give the pretended ability and facility to hide updates, if in fact I can't do that ?

This smacks of duplicitous conduct IMO.

Yes, I read the material By a couple of posters about how to stop this - tenuous at best, but in any case I am NOT a computer techie, ad it seems to me that the procedures as stated are well beyond my ability.

So I gotta be a techie to contend with MSFT's duplicity. Otherwise, THEIR WILL BE DONE !

Gee, I hope some corporate ambulance chasers are keeping notes. Hopefully, someone will realise they can go them for billions !

Edited by jargos, 24 November 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:55 AM

Brainout, I checked the 'learn more' MS link about the update, and it did not to me, look one jot different from what it was previously. It was just to put that accursed update nag icon back into my taskbar, like before.

The KB3035583 isn't your usual update where the description changes all the time. It have been reissued so many times that I lost the count a long time ago. What changes are the files inside it (they are most likely improved) and if you delete multiple versions of the KB3035583, you'll see it (I do when I have to source like 10 different versions of it to replace missing packages or Registry keys on someone's system, it's a real pain).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users