Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a fan where there wasn't one before?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ghunt

ghunt

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

I just got my computer, HP Z400, looking at some upgrades for it.

Currently has only a rear chassis fan and I would like to add a front one.

There is a 4-pin plug on the MB for a front chassis fan (it's even labeled that way on the diagram on the inside of the case cover), so I got that covered, but how do you attach the fan to the case? There don't appear to be any threaded inserts or really even fan mounting holes at all. There is a large open grid and some random holes but nothing resembling a fan mounting pattern.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:06 AM

Here is some information on installing a front fan to the computer in discussion.

Front fan and fan holder installation

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02273878

#3 ghunt

ghunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:31 AM

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can only find one place selling that fan holder (on ebay) and it's $29....ugh.

#4 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

:welcome:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:57 AM

Unless you are experiencing overheating problems I wouldn't even bother with the extra fan.

If you are experiencing overheating you can find fans which will work with your computer here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

In one of my earlier desktops, I bought a couple of cheapie box-fans [1.5-2.0" square I think], very carefully duck-taped [using the 1/2"] them into place, kept the desktop cooler than cool, the only drawback: the combined fan noise reminded me of Terminal C IAH.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

Using duct tape is not a good idea.  It will eventually dry out and fall apart leaving a sticky mess where the adhesive has adhered to the case collecting any and all manner of crud.

Zip ties is one option when holes do not align allowing for the use of proper mounting hardware. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

Using duct tape is not a good idea.  It will eventually dry out and fall apart leaving a sticky mess where the adhesive has adhered to the case collecting any and all manner of crud.  Zip ties is one option when holes do not align allowing for the use of proper mounting hardware. 

dc3, I should have remembered suggesting zip ties, not duct tape [like I did years ago], thanks for bringing that up.

ghunt:  I'm wondering if HP web site might have something cheaper than $29.00 for a front fan assembly. Have you checked there?

Edited by RolandJS, 24 November 2015 - 01:17 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

$15.00... use the link I provided in post #5.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

I have dozens of 12 volt fans from many defunct CPU fans from scrapped units.  A little bit of hot glue in the corners while held to a vent inside the chassis will do wonders to help cool any unit.  Most are pretty quiet and an addition of some posterboard cut to make ducts to channel cooler air where needed.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

I just use super-glue to hold fans in place when I don't have the screws...works just fine.

Louis

#12 ghunt

ghunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

Unless you are experiencing overheating problems I wouldn't even bother with the extra fan.

If you are experiencing overheating you can find fans which will work with your computer here.

I've barely even turned the computer on yet, but I am planning to upgrade to a full length video card for some light gaming.

I figure I will need that card support anyway so why not add a fan while I'm doing it.

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

the combined fan noise reminded me of Terminal C IAH.

I don't know what that is, but I assume you mean it was loud. :)

I replaced all the fans on my computer a couple of weeks ago. This time I bought some "quiet" fans from ebay. What a difference!

Regarding "fan holders," I would question whether they are necessary. I have small fans fitted at the front and rear of my case in holders, which I used because they are there, but I also have a larger fan that fits on a side of the case and another small fan in the top, and they don't have holders. They just screw directly into the case, and I reckon I could have done the same with the fans at the front and rear. Even if the holes aren't in the right place for the screws it would just be a matter of drilling some more, or else use glue or cable ties as has already been suggested.

Edited by Al1000, 24 November 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

Hamluis said:

I just use super-glue to hold fans in place

+1 on that; I have used the new "gel" type Superglue brand, and that stuff is amazing. Hold the fan in place 60 seconds to let the glue dry and you are done. Just seriously be careful about getting it on your fingers, I think the only way to get your fingers apart is soak them in Lacquer Thinner.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

Terminal C, Houston International Airport -- I think I got their official initials wrong  :)

A local computer guru [Austin metro area] said:  Heat is an enemy of electronics.

Hence, I added fans, inside of desktop[s] if possible, in the room [den] if need be.  Why wait for overheating?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users