Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help, Gaming PC Upgrade!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Badbren

Badbren

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:35 PM

Please help tell me what i should upgrade next for my gaming desktop.

I will also be streaming and live recording at the same time as gaming.

Wanting to upgrade to the Nvidia Geforce 980x for another top end graphics card.

What should i worry about replacing also in the future?

Any Help would be AWESOME!

Please click the link and it will show you a screenshot of my PC specs at the moment

Thanks guys a lot!

358ovsz.png

3ag.png

Thanks a lot everyone. Glad to have signed up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Badbren

Badbren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:36 PM

Also...is this all the information you would need to know what I have? If not please do tell.

I have some cash i could spend and really would want to get 100% out of the new top end video card. What are some things I would need to get that 100%, is the information i am looking for. Thanks again

#3 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:46 AM

The information you provided is not enough. We need to know your motherboard and power supply first before help you upgrade your GPU.

Also what games do you play? The CPU seems to be outdated and not able to play modern games at high settings, or streaming. You need to have a i5 at least for gaming, i7 will be good for your need, but costs more.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:44 AM

The easiest thing to do is to post information from Speccy so we can see what we are working with.  A guide on how to do that is available here.  How much are you willing to spend on this build/upgrade?

3939.png

#5 Badbren

Badbren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

Thanks alot DJBPace07 for the help of that, i can see that my temp is really high. But here is the spread

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
AMD Athlon X4 750K 64 °C
Trinity 32nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
MSI A78M-E45 (MS-7721) (P0) 37 °C

Graphics
ELEFW246 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1360x768@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (Gigabyte) 37 °C

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10 EZEX-21M2NA0 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 29 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

I believe I was told by whom i bought it that you know, its overclocked and i can turn up my settings more. i have looked into it and can look on how to turn up my fan speed. I an not VERY new to this stuff but..still trying to learn more. Ive been in my catalyst control center and seen opetions i just dont want to mess anything up lol. so im sure there is an option to turn up my fan speed a bit,. ill look into it. Cause sometimes it gets loud and fan i can tell is working HARD...

As for the budget, i will spend over time endless into my pc lol, and always always upgrade as new stuff comes out.
As for this week, im looking to buy 2 things and want to know which first.
I want the intel i7 for sure. So i guess i should start there? wiuth what else i need to run that properly.

As for the games i play, I run Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, and League of Legends, ALL on ULTRA settings and get never under 60 fps..
my system really isnt bad at all for my current gaming as you may think. I just simply feel like updating it as i know new games will be coming out, and the fact i want 3 monitors in total eventually and at that point i figure id be overloading my card.

Thanks so much for reading and helping! Glad to be reading cool articles on this forum and learning more

#6 Badbren

Badbren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

Please let me know what you think

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:15 PM

I have already choose the parts for you based on your need, you should have no problems in gaming on ultra settings. The total price is near $2000.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xh2FvK

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

You will want to buy one of the recent Intel Skylake CPU's, which will require a new motherboard and RAM.  I suggest doing this in a "Big bang" approach where you buy everything all at once.  Here's an idea...

Case:  LIAN LI PC-A75 - This is a full-ATX case, spacious with plenty of room to work in.  When buying cases, aluminum cases are typically of a higher quality, side vents, windows, or fans will make the case louder.  $169

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 - This is a motherboard using the Skylake platform.  $179

CPU:  Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 - This is more of a placeholder for a Skylake i7.  If you can get a 6700K, get that instead.  Those Skylake i7's tend to go out of stock quickly.  $269

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 - Alternatively, you can get 16GB modules and go for 64GB of RAM.  $219

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - This is a basic, though quality, unit.  You can do some light overclocking with it, or keep the CPU at stock and have a little quieter PC.  $29

OS:  Windows 10 Home Premium Full Version (Contains 32-bit and 64-bit Editions) - The good thing about a full version is that you can move it between motherboards, whereas System Builder/OEM versions cannot.  $119

ODD:  ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - You don't really need this unless you use disc-based media.  $59

SSD:  Crucial MX200 2.5" 500GB - You can install your OS and some of your games on this for a good speed increase.  $169

HDD:  WD Black 2TB - Plenty of space for music, videos, pictures, etc.  $107

Power Supply:  ENERMAX Platimax EPM750AWT 750W - A quality modular power supply which will handle almost any single GPU solution.  If you plan on using multiple graphics cards, you may want to get higher wattage.  $189

GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4995-KR 6GB - This is probably the fastest consumer graphics card you can get... and you're going to be paying for it.  You can get a standard GTX 980 for quite a bit less.  $619

Grand Total:  $2,139  (If you get one of those i7's, increase this by $200)

3939.png

#9 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

This is probably the fastest consumer graphics card you can get

There is GTX Titan X which is more powerful than 980 Ti, but costs more, $999. I think most consumers won't need this graphics card.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

I think Nvidia is positioning the Titan X as a more professional card rather than one aimed largely at the consumer gaming market.  Personally, I don't believe the Titan X is worth the price difference between it and the 980 Ti for almost the same performance.

3939.png

#11 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

Yes the Titan X is completely overkill for most consumers, it is for enthusiasts or someone who has a lot of money to spend. My brother replaced 980 with Titan X and is not satisfied with it, it offers almost no improvement over the 980.

#12 Badbren

Badbren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:03 AM

Thank you guys very much. I will definitely refer to this thread in building my pc. I will be getting the skylark i7.

Also I will be liquid cooling it. But I found good youtube vids of how to install and which products to get.

Stupid question...but what is skylark platform? Is it like an Intel i7 but just different brand?

So would I be going from an AND FX to a skylark? Is that how you would say it. And also I may need a bigger case because I am looking into adding more radiators and fans for a much cooler quite system.

Also once I get started I will be posting videos of me streaming the build build at home because because I will be needing the help of this forum haha. I will call my rig the The Bleeping - made pc. Built by the bleeping computer community!

So I do hope you stay tuned. Starting this weekend buying the case and cpu, more to come next week. Within a month or two will have all the parts

#13 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

Skylake is a new microarchitecture for the Intel Core processors, using 14nm transistors. You can read more about this at Wikipedia.

If you want a big case, the case that DJB and I recommend will be fine.

#14 Badbren

Badbren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

Couple more questions..I didn't really explain my build in mind enough. I'm looking to EVENTUALLY buy dual Titan graphics cards in it. So I want to get what I need now to support two of those so I don't have to do a bunch of swapping out later on.

Also as I mentioned I would like to get the i7 so if you could let me know which of those to get.

Also, that motherboard is only 180? Is there a better card I can get for about $100 more?

As you can see I'm looking to completely overkill this pc. Awesome LED lighting
Will have $1000 alone in fans I imagine.

If you could also link some good working yet really cool looking fans that would be awesome.

#15 Badbren

Badbren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

Oh and I think I'm going to go with the very large case from Corsair, I forget the model number at the moment but it's the biggest from corsait. Because I will upgrade this baby for life ^_^

I know what liquid cooling pump and hoses I will get so.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users