Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Spec-ing out a New Gaming System

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 felix1989

felix1989

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Hello,

I am new to the forums and I hope you all can help me. I am looking to build a new gaming system capable of running the current generation of games at 1080 resolution on reasonable graphics settings. I will be updating from a much older Core 2 Quad system that is still surprisingly capable for what it is, and would like some help making sure the hardware that I choose will be compatible and will also afford me the best performance possible at the best price possible.

So far my component choices are:

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ATX Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Ram

Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA Harddrive

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III SSD

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 Video Card

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Cooler

Cooler Master HAF 912 Case

I would like recommendations on a power supply, a better video card for a reasonable price difference, preferring to stay with the GTX 970 series, and better or faster RAM for a reasonable price. I also need a recommendation for a very good wireless card as where my computer is located cannot have hard line run to it.

All of this will be used to play things like Fallout 4 and GTA V, as well as older games like Skyrim, previous Fallouts and GTAs and maybe Far Cry 4. I am planning to use Windows 7 as the operating system and playing through an older HP 27 inch 1080p monitor.

I am planning on taking advantage of Newegg's Black Friday sale, provided I can come up with a list of components to purchase before the sale ends or they are sold out.

Thank you,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:04 AM

The PC is very nice and is capable of running the games that you want using 1080p monitor.

For power supply I would recommended at least 500W, the GTX 970 will use lot of power, and generate lot of heat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012

Next, the Hyper 212 Evo Cooler is a great CPU cooler, but is not designed for extreme overclocking, so you cannot overclock the i5-4690K to a very high clock speed (only mild overclocking). If you want to overclock, get the H100i liquid cooler. If you don't want to overclock, then get the non 'K' i5-4690, and H97 mobo, this will save your money.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

I encourage you to go for a Skylake-based system for future upgrade options since it is new.  The LGA 1150 socket is being phased out for the LGA 1151.  Getting either a Intel Core i5-6600 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz or Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz would be beneficial.  Pair that with a GIGABYTE GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 and Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (Or some other DDR4-2133 or better RAM).

For the power supply, if you decide to further upgrade to the GTX 980 Ti, those will require a better unit, 600W.  Getting a modular unit from Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, Enermax, or Silverstone will usually do well in any build.

Make sure that when you use Windows 7, it is a full, boxed retail copy or an unused System Builder/OEM version.  The full, boxed retail version can be moved between PC's, but the System Builder/OEM versions are tied to the motherboard and cannot be moved.  If you don't have either, the full version of Windows 10 Home can be bought here.

Most aftermarket CPU coolers do fine with some light overclocking, but once you start getting into the more extreme overclocks, liquid cooling is necessary.  If all you want is a quieter fan or do some mild overclocking, a large 120mm fan on a quality cooler will work well.  Your chosen cooler will work with a Skylake build.

3939.png

#4 felix1989

felix1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

I definitely cannot afford to go to water cooling at this time, I figured the 212 EVO would be a good middle ground for the time being.

As for the Skylake processors, are either of those as good or better than the Devil's Canyon, or are they just for future upgrade potential? I tend to keep systems for a long time and usually only upgrade things like videocards and harddrives. By the time I would likely look to upgrade the processor the LGA 1151 socket would be as obsolete as my current LGA 775 system. I hate having bits and pieces that can't be used for anything, so when I really upgrade, I tend to build a whole new system so the old one can still be used by others in my household.

Scott

#5 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

The Skylake processors is faster than Haswell Refresh(Devil's Canyon) processors, in the future you can also upgrade your processors to a more powerful one since it is new, released just few month ago.

If you cannot afford water cooling at this time, you can't overclock your 4690K to a high speed, but mild overclocking will be fine, if you are not going to do any overclocking, consider buying the i5-4690, which is cheaper, or go for Skylake i5-6600 as DJBPace07 said, the price of 6600 is about the same as 4690.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Now, let's be correct here. The skylake performance is only very slightly better than that of haswell. However the skylake processors come with new features and are slightly more efficient.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 felix1989

felix1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

OK, so I have worked on my parts lists a bit on both possible builds. I do want to overclock at some point in the future, but cannot afford to go to the liquid cooling to do so right at this moment.

My two possible builds at the moment are looking like this.

For the LGA 1150 build:

MSI Gaming 5 Z97 Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW Videocard

EVGA 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon 3.5GHZ Processor

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

G.Skill TridentX Series 16GB DDR3 2400 Ram

Segate 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Hard drive

TP-LINK Dual Band Wireless N900 Wireless Card

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

For the LGA 1151 build:

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard

OR

Gigabyte Z170 HDMI SATA Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW Videocard

EVGA 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake 3.5GHZ Processor

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 240 Ram

Segate 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Hard drive

TP-LINK Dual Band Wireless N900 Wireless Card

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

My main concerns are if the new processors and ram and such will play nice with my older operating system and programs. I really do not want to step up to Windows 10 due to privacy concerns and just not liking the direction the operating systems have gone in general since Windows 7.

I am also a little worried about going with the brand new tech that is only a few months old, which means better stuff will be coming out for it in the coming months, and some of the flaws that the Skylake processors may or may not have, might take a little while to get ironed out, same with the motherboards. The older series stuff is pretty well optimized and it is easy to find where it has a track record of good or bad parts.

In either case there is only about a hundred dollar difference between the two builds and I would really like some input on my selections and answers to some of my biggest concerns. I'm a bit opposed to change and don't usually care for having all the newest things, so when it comes to getting brand new hardware I'm very cautious.

Scott

#8 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Hello:

Both systems is very good, you should not have any problems when gaming. I would recommend that you go for the Skylake build, it is newer and use less power.

850W power supply is overkill, unless you are going to upgrade to a better graphics card later or run two graphics card. For your need, 600/700W is enough, no need to go beyond that.

New processors should not have problems with older OS and programs, Windows 7 has around 5 years support left so you can still use it. After the support ended I would recommend you to upgrade your OS.

#9 felix1989

felix1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:05 PM

I chose the 850W power supply as it was only about $5 more than the 750W one due to Black Friday deals on Newegg. Having done some research I am not sure if Skylake would work as well with Windows 7. It seems that some of the native USB support that W7 relies on has been removed in the current iteration of the processors and while there are workarounds to get the OS installed, there could potentially be some problems down the line with compatibility. Plus I ran myself so short on figuring out what I want that the Skylake processor is now out of stock and I do not have a local store where I can go pick one up, if I even had the chance of that on a Black Friday sale.

Scott

#10 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:26 PM

I chose the 850W power supply as it was only about $5 more than the 750W one due to Black Friday deals on Newegg.

In this case, then go for the 850W power supply so you have future upgrade potential.

Skylake should work well in Windows 7. I run Vista on my Skylake i3 and doesn't encounter any problems.

#11 felix1989

felix1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:52 PM

OK, I will admit that my research isn't always the best, and I have no idea what will and won't work alright together. If I had been a little more on the ball I probably would have chosen the Skylake system. As it stands, since the processor is out of stock and I do want the ability to overclock, I will go with the Devil's Canyon build since it should be pretty close in terms of performance right now and probably enough to last me a long time. As for future upgrades to this build, I might end up doing SLI for the first time with it, or maybe getting a better, higher definition monitor, and most likely a lot of hard drives and SSDs for storage of many things as I am able to afford them so I think at some point I might need all the power of that 850W PSU.

Scott

#12 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:41 AM

If the Skylake CPU is out of stock then get the Devil's Canyon (Haswell Refresh) one, it can still last you for a long time. The reason I recommend Skylake is that it will last even long time and power efficient, plus some new features like DDR4 RAM support.

Based on your need, the 850W PSU is good for you.

#13 felix1989

felix1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:35 PM

I did end up ordering the Devil's Canyon build, had to substitute a different level of GSkill ram, same speed though. I would like to ask about monitors if I could. Looking at it now I could stand to have a new monitor, especially since I don't have an extra around for my current computer to use when the new build is completed. I was at my local Sam's earlier and saw a couple of usually rather expensive Samsung monitors at about $50-$100 off. One was a flat panel 27" 1080p monitor, the other is a 27" curved screen 1080p monitor. Both are right at $200 through the 30th. Right now I do plan on sticking with my current screen size, which is 27", and at standard high definition levels. I am coming from an old HP 2709m 1080p monitor and I would like to know if either is a good upgrade over what I have now, or if something else would be better for the same price. My only real concerns are that it match my current size and definition, have same or better performance, and I would prefer built in speakers for the rare times I am not using headphones, but that is not a deal breaker.

Links to the monitors:

My current monitor

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-2709m/

The flat panel Samsung

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/27-high-res-led-widescreen-hd-1080p/prod13450153.ip?navAction=push

The curved panel Samsung

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/samsung-27-monitor-curved/prod18320292.ip

Thanks,

Scott

#14 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

You can stay on your current monitor. It is a 27" 1920x1200 monitor, which is pretty good already. You can buy the Samsung monitor if you want after get some money, it has more features I think.

#15 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

As a gamer you may be interested in a 144hz high refresh rate monitor, such as the Asus VG248QE. If you are big into multitasking I would get 2 dell E2414Hr for 99.99 ea. on Amazon.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users