Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem download MP4 Codec for WMP 6.4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

I tried installing Microsoft codecs for MWP 6.4. I downloaded the installer straight from Microsoft's website.

The installer is Windows NT4 compliant.

The installer loaded most of the codecs. I can now play avi, wmv, etc. However the installer will not load Windows Media ISO MPEG-4 V1.1 DirectShow Codec or Microsoft Windows Media Audio Voice 9.

I only care about MP4 and MOV files.

The installer creates a Code Download Log entry. "Code Download Error: (hr = 8007007e) The specified module could not be found."

This is a non-internet computer.

Restarting the installer shows that these two codecs are the only two hold-outs.

Curiously, when I click on setup_wm.exe 7.01.00.3055 Microsoft Windows Media Configuration Utility - which comes with the codecs - I get the following message: "Windows Media Configuration Manager: Setup has detected that you are attempting to install Windows Media Player on an unsupported version of Windows. For information about system requirements or Windows Media Player, see http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia. Setup will now close."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

Windows Media Player is a sub par media player, at best.

Try VLC Media Player or KMPlayer and your problems will fade away.

:tvhappy:

#3 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thanks, but I prefer a program that doesn't take up so much hdd space which is why I use WMP 6.4.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

VLC is only 27MB.... that would be less than 1/20th of any movie file you have. Admittedly it is 10 times bigger than WMP 6, but that would seem irrelevant (considering how big your media is) even if you have a very old HDD with 80GB.

Unless I was trying to load a whole operating system on a 4GB USB stick I would just choose the application that works, rather than trying to run insecure legacy programs that will cause endless hassle.

#5 computerdownhouse

computerdownhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

Windows Media Player is a sub par media player, at best.

Try VLC Media Player or KMPlayer and your problems will fade away.

:tvhappy:

Sorry for the delay replying. Neither program works with NT 4.0

A codec must exist...

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:49 PM

Yes, you will have a problem finding media playing software to play modern codecs on NT4. I don't see why someone would have written compatible software for that OS, it would largely be unused.

You may consider installing a more modern operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users