Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which tablet is right for me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 resa83

resa83

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

I'm looKing for a tablet that's affordable. If at all possible to find one that can get close to laptop features as possible.
Things I do is social media,games, videos, music etc. I really need one that has excellent sound bc I'm hard of hearing :(
I don't need one that needs to live on its charger.
Needs.....
I guess good graphics or video quality considering gaming and videos...
Bluetooth always a plus.... Good memory without having to hassle with an sd card is also a plus.
To me speed is one of the most important things. I'm not tech savvy but hopefully what I've said is enough for you to know what I need. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

No tablet will be that much like a laptop unless you go a little more high end and for those prices you might as well buy a laptop.

There is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S, a good mid range tablet priced just below a lot of lower end laptops.

There is the Dell Venue however, a tablet that wants to be a laptop as opposed to the Lenovo Yoga which is a laptop trying to be a tablet.

I actually have my eyes on a dell venue as a possible investment

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

Thank you

#4 Tithi

Tithi

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

If you are looking for high quality service then you have to increase your budget.

I am currently using Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.5. I am happy with its performance. You may take a look on this one.

#5 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

Thank you. However I have lost my funding for me a laptop, due to Christmas shopping. I may try to get one next month not sure. Bc now I need another phone.

#6 duryard

duryard

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

Nexus 7 does it for me. 3G versions are available or Nexus 9 if you need something bigger

#7 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

I can highly recommend a Microsoft Surface, and you can get them for like $300-400 on ebay second hand!  It can run the lower end games like DotA or Counterstrike quite easily, and can run normal applications like word and can turn into a tablet by removing the keyboard. 

#8 gamechanger

gamechanger

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

There is the Dell Venue however, a tablet that wants to be a laptop as opposed to the Lenovo Yoga which is a laptop trying to be a tablet.

Madman is less than mad on this point.

You can see a lot of different products entering the market, where the attributes of tablet and a laptop are blended into some sort of a mix.

Different people want different things. If you for example have a “hybrid”/” convertible”/”2-in-1” (these things mean the same thing, right? Let me know if not J ), and you use it mainly on your desk with the keyboard attached, you will likely nearly forget the fact that you can you the thing as a tablet as well. Then just go for a pure laptop instead. Unless portability is unnecessary to you in which case desktop PC is likely the choice, no?

It was very well put in some “which-product-to-get” guide where it was said that the main dilemma is about knowing your lifestyle and needs.

So, resa83, I think you just need to look a little deeper into your every day life and define if you really need a tablet, a laptop, or something between them. Like Microsoft Surface which KingDavidIII mentioned there.

#9 SarahCarley

SarahCarley

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:21 AM

Considering your buget, why don't you try Xiaomi tablets? They are cheap and works good.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:47 PM

No SDcard support with them

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 awesomeoverload

awesomeoverload

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:03 AM

Hi, I think, you should choose a high end tablet. Actually, I'm using an android ( Samsung and an Asus ). Though, you should try the tablet of my nephew here- it's Lenovo yoga tab 3. It is packed full of  media focus features. It is also an android.

#12 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Your looking for tablet that can get close to laptop?  But that would be hard may i know your budget sir?

#13 ActiveHawk

ActiveHawk

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

Your looking for tablet that can get close to laptop?  But that would be hard may i know your budget sir?

Yes I agree. If you need a tablet that somewhat works like a laptop, then you much have a bigger budget:)

#14 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

I suggest a Dell Venue 11 Pro or a venue 8 pro, they are cool

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#15 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

I'm looKing for a tablet that's affordable. If at all possible to find one that can get close to laptop features as possible.
Things I do is social media,games, videos, music etc. I really need one that has excellent sound bc I'm hard of hearing :(
I don't need one that needs to live on its charger.
Needs.....
I guess good graphics or video quality considering gaming and videos...
Bluetooth always a plus.... Good memory without having to hassle with an sd card is also a plus.
To me speed is one of the most important things. I'm not tech savvy but hopefully what I've said is enough for you to know what I need. Thanks

A lot of ppl are mentioning the Dell Venue Pro, and that can get as low as £138 GBP (perhaps even lower?) depending on the spec, but at that spec, it seems to do what you want it to do, . I've also seen one for just over £900, as it has higher spec.

£138 version:

DELL Venue 11 Pro 5130 32GB Bluetooth 4.0 - Black

• Intel Atom Z3775
  • 2GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
  • 10.8 TN TFT Display with HD (1366 x 768)
  • 2 MP front camera / 8 MP rear camera
  • Windows 8.1

32GB can store lots of 5 minute videos and songs. I might some sort of tablet-laptop hybrid myself one day, but my rule is: only buy if you cannot live without it. I might get something like the Dell Venue when the time comes, or the Surface Book. Good thing is, l could directly swap files with a Windows desktop, great for productivity. I'm assuming you won't need special software to interface the tablet with your desktop (because they'd both be Windows). Great for college students. Then again, Microsoft aint too secure so l may just get an Apple tablet. Coming to think of it, if it's a hybrid with high spec, then l won't need a desktop. So, for me, l'd get a nice big iPad, add a stylus, add a keyboard, and hope l never need to repair anything as repairs cost a lot.

As for gaming, then you'd be looking at the top, top, top end models unless you just want to play basic games. But really, to be gaming with a capital G, your cheapest option is a souped up desktop PC for around £300-£400, AMD processors are cheaper than Intel. I'd say, give gaming a miss on a retail budget tablet unless it's just basic Angry Birds type stuff.

As for sound, the only tablet I have real experience with is the BlackBerry PlayBook, built like a tank, and has a nice screen, excellent battery life and excellent sound but YouTube withdrew support for the YouTube app, and there are no replacements as they withdrew support for a commercial app which still let you view YT on the PlayBook. You can still watch YT via the browser but l doubt even that will be possible for much longer as l'm now getting reminders to upgrade my browser when l watch YT via browser, and ofc the PlayBook is no longer supported by BlackBerry so forget about any browser updates. Totally discontinued device. Shame because it had a really secure OS and you could bluetooth tether internet from your BlackBerry phone to it.

Anyway, l'd imagine the Dell Venue is your best bet out of all the mentions on this thread (on a par with the XiaoMi tablet too, another good 'un).

Edited by MajesticFailure, 16 May 2016 - 06:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users